Best treatment for gapeworm?

Reading up it doesnt seem like there's going to be a good out come for my girl, which I am completely heart broken about ( and wish I hadn't read just before bed ) I am a little confused how they would get this infection though, being in a run that has housed other birds who've never had this problem x

I only mentioned it because I had one of mine get it after getting Baytril. I think it's treatable with something like fluconazole or ketoconazole, ask your vet, he/she should know.

-Kathy

Thanks everyone, but why wouldnt the ABs they were on in the first place not help? They had 20 days on baytril and a week on septrin, the vet said as there was no impovement at all then it's unlikely anymore will help and it's likely a different illness, and to try worming in case of gapeworm.
The first hen to get sick, come to think of it, must of had this problem for about 7 weeks and non of the other 6 hens have been sick until now. I thought with resp. Infections they spread like wildfire?

I guess another vet trip is in order, but what do I do as the ABs haven't made a difference?
It could be a virus, such as infectious bronchitis. Antibiotics such as baytril have no effect on virusus....same is true for fungal issues.

Thanks everyone, but why wouldnt the ABs they were on in the first place not help? They had 20 days on baytril and a week on septrin, the vet said as there was no impovement at all then it's unlikely anymore will help and it's likely a different illness, and to try worming in case of gapeworm.
The first hen to get sick, come to think of it, must of had this problem for about 7 weeks and non of the other 6 hens have been sick until now. I thought with resp. Infections they spread like wildfire?

I guess another vet trip is in order, but what do I do as the ABs haven't made a difference?
Antibiotics will treat bacterial respiratory infections, like Chronic Respiratory Disease. However, some diseases like Infectious Bronchitis are caused by viruses, and viruses are not harmed by antibiotics.

Okay thank you everyone. So if whatever illness they have isn't responding to baytril or septrin what ABs/medicine should i mention? (have asked about tylan to many vets round here and they don't have a clue what it is and are unwilling to look it up and write me a prescription) x

Last edited:
If you are confident of the does you gave and there isn't any improvement with flubenvet that your hens might have a respiratory infection.

See if there is a vet that treats exotic birds in your area. He/she would at least be able to prescribe the proper type and dosage of antibiotics.

Thanks aggiemae but I rang all the local ones I could find and none of them were any help and just insisted on more baytril. I mean, one vet I went to listened to the chickens lungs from the front/underneath and didn't seem to have a clue, and this was at the only 'farm' vet we have round here x

My gosh, what a carry on.

Rang the "farm vet" when they opened this morning, they do sell Tylan but only in big bottles for £50, but I said I'd like some anyway as the baytril and septrin were no help. She said she'd get a vet to ring me as it's a prescription medication, no problem at all.

4 hours later the vet rang, asking if I had sick COWS?! And that I had already given the chickens tylan?!?! Erm, no. (the receptionist even checked all the details with me so she had the message right...)
So then went on to say they aren't allowed to prescribe tylan anymore.... even though they still sell it....
Then said she'd get another vet to ring me back, now waiting for their call.

Let's hope I can actually get some by tonight!

Can you take one of the hens that was on Baytril to the vet and have him look test her mucous or blood to see what you're dealing with, bacteria, fungus or virus? Be warned, Tylan (Tylosin) injections can cause injection site reactions, so ask your vet about that.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom