best type of fence to keep ducks out of garden?

Firemenlovechicks

Songster
10 Years
Jan 5, 2010
Medina, TN (near Jackson)
Just wondering about my veggie garden.... i am new to ducks and I want to know the best way to keep them out of my veggies..... Will an electric fence work? if not, how tall of a fence do I need to put in that they won't fool with going over?

Any other tips appreciated as well.......

Thanks!!

Jeff

I guess it depends on the kind of ducks you have and whether or not they can fly. I have Buff/Runner crosses, and I've fenced them out with 2' poultry netting stapled to wooden stakes. One found a spot where the wire pulled away and managed to get through, but once I fixed that they haven't bothered. But if the kids leave the gate open the devious birds will make a beeline for it.

Good luck!

This is my chicken and duck proofing. Essentially since my little voracious things will attack just about all my veggies, I have to keep everything protected.
Protection for my lettuces:
45693_march2011_057.jpg

Protection for my alliums:
45693_img_0007.jpg

Protection for my cabbage/beets:
45693_img_0025.jpg

Just call us the "pen"-itentiary...my animals are not penned up but my plants sure are
wink.png

Quote:
Very nice garden you have there! What is growing on the privacy fence in the background? Are they "penned" as well?

I just used plastic fencing. Works so far to keep the ducks out and the dog hasn't even tried to go under it yet, so serving both purposes.

IMG_3827.jpg

I've got mesh fencing round each garden bed that's about 2 feet high (well, the fencing itself is a bit over 1 foot but it sits on a timber base so a bit under 2 feet in total). The ducks can reach through it and I let them have what they can grab but they don't bother getting into the garden itself. I have not fenced off my herb garden though but I should because they can't resist my garlic chives! I have medium sized ducks that don't really fly (Swedish).

Back
Top Bottom