Best Watering System For Large Flock and Freezing Temperatures

Treerooted

Crowing
Dec 19, 2016
ON, Canada
So I'm hoping to build a new coop this spring and I'm feeling very unsure about the water situation. There are so many designs out there but I really want something that caters to my specific needs, and I can't always determine if a design will be suitable.

Must accommodate:
25-50 chickens
long freezing winters

I have the possibility of incorporating rain water collection, but obviously that's limited to warmer temperatures. Same with dragging a hose out there. So hauling water to the coop will be a reality in the winter. I do have the option of getting power to the coop.
I use deep litter and if at all possible would like to keep the water off the ground - though I know that adds an extra complication and may not be possible!

Anyone have suggestions that would address the issues I'm factoring in?
Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
For 12 chickens I use a 10 gallon semi clear plastic tote, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic containers. That lasts me over a week. It has stayed thawed to -22 degrees F. That is -30 C. However, at -22 I noticed frost forming on the top so I'm sure if it were colder the water would have frozen. Have considered adding insulation to the totes if a problem happens. This system could be used with rain during the warmer months.

For your 25-50 chickens you could try a larger tote or 2 or more waterers, depending on how much electricity you have available. You'd have to fill them more often than I do. I'm fortunate as there is a faucet in the well house and I use that with one of those 100 foot shrinking hoses. I think I remember someone using a larger barrel with the horizontal nipples and deicer. That might work better for your circumstances.

I have electricity in my coop, and use two heated bases for three gallon metal waterers, for my 40 to 45 chickens. They get dumped and refilled every other day, and work well.
We also buried a water line to an all-weather hydrant out there, so carrying water on icy ground during the winter is over!
Having electricity, and an all weather hydrant right there, makes winter so much less difficult!!!
Mary

For 12 chickens I use a 10 gallon semi clear plastic tote, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic containers. That lasts me over a week. It has stayed thawed to -22 degrees F. That is -30 C. However, at -22 I noticed frost forming on the top so I'm sure if it were colder the water would have frozen. Have considered adding insulation to the totes if a problem happens. This system could be used with rain during the warmer months.

For your 25-50 chickens you could try a larger tote or 2 or more waterers, depending on how much electricity you have available. You'd have to fill them more often than I do. I'm fortunate as there is a faucet in the well house and I use that with one of those 100 foot shrinking hoses. I think I remember someone using a larger barrel with the horizontal nipples and deicer. That might work better for your circumstances.

Any chance you're able to share a picture?

Sorry, I don't have a picture. However, if you look around the forums you'll see bucket waterers with horizontal nipples. Mine is similar. Only difference is that I use a larger tote instead of a bucket. The lid of the tote keeps the birds from dirtying their water. A hole in the tote near the top allows for the cord of the deicer. The tote sits on top of an old stool to get the nipples high enough for the chickens to use.

@Folly's place Ah, yes a frost-free hydrant is a dream of mine for sure.

My coop isn't too far away (~ 200ft), so I think getting the truck would be more effort then it's worth. but you have indirectly given my the idea of using the 5 gal containers I have for maple sap to transport enough water over there. I can always use a sled or wagon depending on the weather.

@wamtazlady How many nipples do you use?

One of my concerns was water access for larger flocks.

And of course the nipples freezing, but if it's worked down to -30 then that would be fine. -40 would be the absolute coldest and that's not likely to happen, especially inside the coop with no wind.

It took years for us to get the coop where it is now, with good wiring and that hydrant.
It didn't all happen at once! For years I carried waterers 150 ft. from the horse hydrant to the coop.
Mary

The other thing I forgot to mention was that I'm using deep litter so I like the idea of keeping the water (stand) off the ground so I can easily add more bedding and don't have to worry about moving the waterer. (I also have the same desire for the feed)

Since I'm designing the coop I can construct-in anything that's needed. But maybe it's not doable given the height differences of new young birds and the changing height of the bedding.

Just throwing it out there...maybe there are some genius designs that can make it happen :)

Back
Top Bottom