Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Pics
Quote:
I have 5 as pets in the house... lol
2 dumerils boas, a ball python and 2 corn snakes.

Funny. I live with around a hundred snakes right inside the home.
wink.png

Great Ideas!!! Also, Another very good way to tell the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous is to look at the tail... Non-poisonous has tail ending in point, like a sharpened pencil...Poisonous ones have a blunt end like your small finger...But the head is a giveaway!! Thanks All

Quote:
You definitely have plenty of copperheads in your area!
We lived on Bull Shoals Lake near Cedar Creek. It was something like 6 miles up to the post office. After a rain the huge nightcrawler worms would cross the road by the hundreds. We would go along with a bucket and pick them up for bait. One evening we did this on the way to the post office and wound up with something like 13 copperheads. I can't remember exactly but it was an odd number in the teens.
I always disposed of them for fear the children would get bit and it was a long way to the hospital.
Also, the banded armadillos were a problem.
I wish I would of known about this idea when we lived there.

Quote:
Double check me on this, cause I'm too tired right now to look it up, but I think that poisonous snakes always have "slotted" pupils and non-poisonous snakes have "round" pupils.
Also, if you look on their underside behind their vent you will see that one has a single row of scales and the other has double row of scales.
These are not always the best way to tell when they are alive but if you wonder after the fact it is good to know or if one is caught but not yet disposed of it can help.

Quote:
I believe this is true of poisonous snakes that are native to the U.S., but not necessarily so with escaped exotic snakes. Boas in particular break the rules, because while they're nonvenomous they have triangular heads and often have slotted pupils. I'm not sure about the belly scales. A broad triangular head is a common trait of venomous snakes in the U.S. Coral snakes don't have that broad head, but they're brightly banded in red, black, and yellow so they're really hard to miss. Some king snakes and milk snakes (harmless) also have this same coloring, but it's the ordering of the colors that's important. The phrase they taught us as kids was "Red against yellow will kill a fellow; red against black, he's OK, Jack." Apparently king snakes and milk snakes can be either red-against-black or red-against-yellow, but the coral snake will always be red-against-yellow.

When I was in school one of the teachers called in a panic because a big snake had cornered him in his kitchen. Another teacher went to rescue him, and came back giggling hysterically with a four-foot ball python. (Ball pythons are among the gentlest of snakes.) The snake had escaped its keeper and wandered the neighborhood; it was just unfortunate that it chose to enter the home of a person who was exceedingly uncomfortable about snakes. Poor thing probably wanted to be fed!

I gotta quit reading this. I'm getting the heebie jeebies. I can't stand snakes. My worst nightmare i've had many times over the years is of snakes. I have a copperhead and a rat snake i've been trying to get rid of for a few days now. This trap is perfect. I'll be looking for the minnow traps everywhere I go now. The rat snake is a long one and the copperhead I'm not sure of. Ijust saw enough of it to know what it is. There was about 2 foot of it I saw of it's tail end.

I had put out dome glue traps around my kitchen to try to catch some mice last fall. What I found in one made me sleepless for weeks. It was a baby rat snake. Last time a snake was in the house I moved. But it was a 6 1/2 foot long rat snake and it had been inside for at least 3 days. I was wondering how things where getting knocked off and pictures pulled off walls. One night we heard things getting tossed to the floor and when we looked we couldn't believe what we saw. It's head was stuck in the airconditioner.

Ok. gotta quit thinking about snakes. on to a happier thread. thanks for the idea though.

Great thread that brings up some wonderful solutions and interesting food for thought.
Personally we have an assortment of small ornamental ponds with frogs and fish that attract their fair share of predation. Everything from herons and owls to possums, cats, coons, foxes and of course snakes. We're in a suburban area of 1-2 acre lot housing that is bounded by 30 acres of woods, very near several hundred square miles of undeveloped and forested parks, and thousands of acres of farmland beyond that. Even though we're only minutes from the interstate and shopping malls we see more wildlife in a day than you would believe. The deer herds in particular love grazing on suburban landscapes and we've even had visits from some coyotes of late.

The pond fish and frogs have been holding their own with the help of a bird net cover and a ring of chicken wire around the perimeter, but even then we still have the occasional visitor drawn by our amazing toad and tree frog population, (after a rain it sounds like the anvil chorus). Since we're near the gathering point for a good bit of the watershed as well, our area is a prime gathering area for critters looking for food and drink. My concern has always been that the rule of unintended consequences always seems to win anytime humans attempt to alter natures order. I would say the same about governments trying to engineer things but that's fodder for a different area.

Many of our neighbors feed their own pets, as well as a feral cat population and any wild mammals, by leaving pet food in bowls outside. The very same folks then scream when they discover that they have rats (usually the same not so brights that aren't too diligent about cleaning up after their dogs as well). Next thing ya know they're calling county animal control 'cuz they have possums, coons and foxes visiting, and of course there's the weekly frantic screams of our more urbanized neighbors when they encounter the odd garter or black snake. Unfortunately the latter are usually dispatched with all manner of shovels and hoes before I can manage to relocate them to friendlier digs.

I guess the point is that nature has its own way of dealing with population control. Where food and water is abundant, life will flourish, including the varieties that we oft times consider pests. A few years back I went on a possum relocation crusade 'cuz they insisted on finding ways into the ponds. After trapping and moving a half dozen or so we began to notice previously non-existent rat borrows. Seems that possums are one of the rat's biggest natural predators, and I had unwittingly removed a vital link in the food chain. Rats gestate and reproduce at such an alarming rate that they can and will gladly fill any void in the chain given half a chance. After spending the rest of the summer chasing them down and eradicating as many as possible we noticed several new red tailed hawks and an owl had taken to hunting the area. Thankfully this worked to check the rat explosion along with reducing our squirrel herds. Into this menagerie we intend to start our small flock of laying hens (sans rooster at first just to kind of desensitize our citified neighbors and get them used to some free fresh eggs...then we'll see how they take to the new alarm clock).

So when we decide that we know best and start fiddling about with the natural order we invariably cause a shift that maybe we hadn't really thought completely through. My Doc lives in a similar area just across the reservoir from us and has had to resort to a completely enclosed run to keep the hawks off of his flock. Racoons are constantly testing his perimeter and even with daily vigilance he has still had to endure several bloody invasions. So far the answer has been to keep upgrading the perimeter defenses, but it seems that nature continues to adapt. Even with a chicken wire roof he has had the hawks land within yards of him and begin trying to pull the wire apart to get to his birds. Close enough that he could have swung a shovel on it (had he been willing to tempt fate and the Federal law that protects the hawks). I'm not saying I have the answer 'cuz everybody has their own unique set of circumstances to deal with. Thankfully the copperheads 'round here stay well down in the rocks closer to the river, and the Eastern Diamondbacks are a lot more shy of civilization, but that doesn't mean we won't someday see them.

Love the re-purposing of the minnow traps and I intend to set a few just to get an idea of our snake population, if any. We recently installed a video surveillance system to keep an eye out for two legged varmints but have been amazed at the number and variety of night time visitors that we never imagined being so bold (everything in the neighborhood regularly visits our BBQ grill). So while the toads keep me awake some nights and the bats scare the crap out of the wife and kids, I don't miss the skeeters. The neighbors still feed and house the rats (they also love firewood stacks that sit right on the ground) so the possums occasional visits will be tolerated. I'm not sure what our foxes are thriving on (we have dozens) but I don't intend to do away with them unless and until I'm sure that I won't be opening the door to some new undocumented workers. Even the feral cats will continue to be begrudgingly put up with, at least until I'm sure that all of the rats are toast...but that never really happens.

In the end my new coop has already evolved from a nature friendly open topped pen to a veritable Ft. Knox of poultry prophylactics. Concrete, insulated masonry, buried plaster lath, broken glass and wire have replaced the original idea of some pine boards and chicken wire. Thanks principally to what I've learned from others here we're gradually adding more and more ideas to our castle keep in order to attempt raising domesticated birds in the midst of our wildlife preserve. It really gives one a much greater appreciation of what the early pioneers had to endure. At least if we loose a bird we can still run to the store for some eggs and order some new chicks with a few clicks of a mouse.

We have snakes every year. We have a creek behind us and I geuss the woods etc dont help. Part of our property is part of a restoration yard for old cars (Some REALLY cool ones too!) and they say old cars and snakes go together! My husband and son saw two one day last week. A copperhead and a blacksnake. The blacksnake is creepy but copperheads... I have two daughters 13 and 8, so DH went out and bought the 3 of us wellies in case we have company at the coop. Now if my son goes berry picking in the woods or down the drive to get the 8 yo off the bus he takes a shovel.. DH carries a gun. I agree that it seems cyclical, as some years we see snakes other years we don't.

*This paragraph added by an irritated chicken lover who just had to run outside to save the BlueBerries!...My big issue this year isn't snakes yet, as yet is the operative word! Its the SQUIRRELS!!*Huff Puff...out of breath from chasing ANOTHER away from the garden and coop. Suckers are eating all my BlueBerries!! Which brings my question... Do snakes eat squirrels or are they too high up? Buggers already ate HALF my pear crop!

Quote:
Corn snakes are not exactly harmless if they're strangling your chickens.... Do they do that? (I'm a newbie.) I know when my son had them as pets, they sure strangled the mice they caught! Hmmm, or would you want to leave the corn snakes because they would be catching the mice? A conundrum....

Quote:
I'm losing all my berry and fruit crops to "squinties" (Iowa name for 13-striped ground squirrels) and chipmunks. Any suggestions?

But more important... My back-country relatives live in copperhead country, and what they do is have all their kids wear police whistles, so they can whistle for help if they get "snake-bit".

Back
Top Bottom