Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Pics
OMG!!! Thank you for this tip. I have been having snakes (not copperheads--at least not so far this summer) and wondered how to get rid of them. Did you put eggs in the trap?? BTW....it looks pretty dangerous to have those dogs with the snakes...what if it is poisonous and they get bitten....then what?? I live next to major wooded park and snakes keep arriving, I suppose to drink from the small pond. I did have a couple caught up in the deer netting around my garden. Fortunately they were NOT poisonous. mickie

I lived in fla as a young man, i also caught the poisonous one.. However i have a funny outlook on snakes, "the only good snake is a dead snake" LOL.. sorry.. i see em, i killem and i dont care less bout them,, we have several blue racers up here ,, my part of michigan has tons of them.. I do sometimes let them go.. but prefer to kill them off.. UUUUGGG snakes... LOL

That's a great idea. Was looking for some kind of trap. Have seen two in coop and lost a young silkie last night to a snake. It tried to eat it but the chick must have been too big.

You definately have guineas.....and some pretty good dogs too. I guess I should have mentioned guineas don't always work, but so far I've had good luck. Around here small flocks 25 birds or less ""seem"" to take care of the snakes while large flocks don't. I have no idea why.

I see the effectiveness! I am so glad to get this info. Thank you so much! Gooing to Walmart in the morning!:)
wee.gif

I should have mentioned before, your guineas are smarter than mine. Considering the size of the snakes I would stand back and "holler" until the dogs came too. I've never seen this type snake before.

Can you tell me how big your minnow/snake trap is. The neatest idea I have ever seen and I am anxious to get one.
JD

I've been having a problem with rat snakes, average size 5 foot long. I've had to deal with 6 of them so far since the weather turned warm. The minnow trap idea sounds good. Does it need to be baited with eggs? I'm already losing eggs to the snakes so giving a few to the cause is not a problem.

Hmmm. I almost wish I had your problem rather than the rat problem I had before I started putting a chicken controlled door on the coop.

With the snakes you could fairly easily kill/decapitate and supplement the protein needs of your chickens with the snakes you catch. No way I am going to do that with the rats.

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. Recently, we moved to the lake and bought a pontoon boat. Yesterday, we had our son and daughter-in-love and 5 grandchildren with us for tubing on the lake. Our son saw a tail coming out from under the boat on top of one of the pontoons. We had been pulling two tubes…and our daughter-in-love, Jenn, saw it was a copperhead. Before that the kids had been jumping off the boat into the water and had been near the pontoons. We wondered what to do? Then, I saw several posts that began to give us some ideas or rather options. We thought also, since we are renting this house and the dock doesn't have a boat lift, we'd buy a boat trailer and cart it out of the water. Though it would be a hassle it would be better than having someone bitten or frightened to death. I'm mostly freaked out about the poisonous snakes and having our grandchildren around the dock and lake frontage area now that we've seen a copperhead. We've seen corn snakes…black, yellow, and white striped, a nonvenomous water snake. I'm wondering if the minow buckets would help around the dock? Hornet and wasp spray, we may try too, to evacuate the copperheard, if it's still there. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom