Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Pics
Wow... Although the trap idea is good, wouldn't it be better to put a layer of hardware cloth under your coop (then cover with dirt) to prevent snake infestation in the first place?

I am a reptile keeper and to see snakes disposed of in this way is quite saddening to me. In many states it is illegal to kill native non-venomous wildlife (I am glad to see that you relocate them, OP), But, I will say, that if you must kill the venomous ones (instead of relocating them as well).... The only humane way to euthanize a snake is by crushing its' head... Putting in a freezer is not humane as they are thought to remain conscious and feel ice crystals forming in their bodies. Also, drowning would be inhumane because snakes can slow down their breathing / metabolism and thus, it would take a long time. They can also live hours after their head is severed, remaining conscious during that time. Hence, if you must kill them, please crush their head with as much force and as quickly as possible. Breeders that I know euthanize defective babies this way (those born with kinks, etc.). I keep 10 snakes myself and they are very interesting animals, they are more intelligent than most people think and are not vicious creatures, most will flee from harm given the chance.

I recently saw a post on FB by a rescue that took in a boa (a pet snake) whose owner called 911 after it bit her and didn't release (she hadn't fed it for months..hmm.. wonder why it bit her?). Anyway, the EMS people cut the snakes head off except for the spinal cord / trachea (all the muscle tissue) to get it off. The local zoo vet was able to reattach all the muscles and the snake is now doing well and is an animal used in educational shows with kids.. And is a docile creature at that (they named her "lucky stars")..

OP: I don't want this to read as a nutter post by a reptile keeper, I just wanted to inform you (and others reading the thread) about how to humanely dispose of snakes in the event that it has to be done.

Thanks for the info and I will try that. The level part I did not bury it down to make the opening level to the ground. I will try it now and your illustration is great to get the right idea. I had just cleaned out our bantam coop and left the door open to air out before placing new hay on the floor. The next day I added the new hay and hung the heat lamps for the new LF chicks and looked up and there curled up above my head was a yellow rat snake just waiting for my new chicks. Had I closed the door this would not have happened because I use the very small hardware cloth for my coop wire. He had to of climbed straight up the wall to get to where he was in the coop. Amazing and so thankful God had me look up and see him before I put my chicks in there. What kind of snakes have you caught in your traps?

I've heard that copperheads are not found at all to the west of I-35 and in my area not west of a road just a few miles from me I don't know if I believe that really I know that snakes have ranges but if your that close to the edge of the range I'm sure there isn't a magic line stopping them from crossing over it LOL

I can assure you that copperheads extend far past I-35! I live near Abilene and while it's typically rattler country we do have an occasional copperhead, especially in brushier areas with lots of shade and dead leaves.

I would whack them in the head with a shovel. Or cut them in two. I know that doesn't sound humane, but when they come in going after my eggs and my girls, i've declared war! LOL

Last edited:
I’m glad I stumbled upon this thread. Ordered a trap from Amazon right away.
Do you have any idea what to bait rattlesnakes with? I moved a few years ago on an ancient mountain with many rattlers in Southern California. I have done all I can to reduce rodents, have clean open spaces, but have still way too many rattlers. The other day one crawled right at me within arms reach while I was sitting on my front steps.
I am just discovering very big snake tracks on my paths and would like to get rid of the snakes. But what to bait them with?

The only permanent way to deal with a snake problem is proper education on snake habits and the dangers they pose (next to none.) In the process of reading I think you'll likely come up with plenty of natural, humane, and decent ways to keep your animals safe, and will come away with an understanding of a harmless animal and how to deal with them, rather than the sick feeling associated with killing.

Proper reading on snakes will also help you identify which are venomous, and which are eating or out-competing venomous snakes in your area..keeping things in check. If you think this is a rare occurrence, you are mistaken - a google search will clear this up (or better yet, join a local herpetology facebook page/group to learn about your area from those who are passionate about it, and to see first hand what snakes are doing to benefit your community/environment.) There is a lot of folklore surrounding these animals.

Everyone in this forum is involved with raising animals, I know you guys can find solutions that are less shovel-based - the OP has his head in the right spot. (Hope this comes across friendly/helpful and not rude/condescending)

404-557-2470 get this number in your phone. See a snake, get a photo, text it to Jason who will ID the snake for you in seconds. Do not forget, a HUGE number of bites occur while attempting to kill the snake. I would spread this number far and wide, it's an amazing service.

Back
Top Bottom