Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Pics
Thank you.....In your research or you already may know..Do they have the very same requirements as chickens in coops ? I just had a no frills cage for them at night. They love roosting in the trees but feeding them like you said will eliminate that.
https://poultrykeeper.com/general-guinea-fowl/beginners-guide-keeping-guinea-fowl/

Here is a pretty good article, some people have luck keeping them with there chickens, but others say that they are bullies and will even kill chickens. Here is a picture I found on the web.

I just got another reason for loving my cold climate!!! I'd rather deal with a Grizzly Bear in my yard than snakes!!! At least I'll see the bear coming or the dogs will warn me, instead of the surprise of snakes! Shudder.

Black snakes are good for Copperhead control . I have seen them constrict Copperheads and eat them.
They are good for mouse and rat control also.

I don't mean to seem rude but won't the black snakes get in my coop if I have the smallest entry way maybe I overlooked ? I would love some on my property but not at the expense of my flock. Thanks.

I don't mean to seem rude but won't the black snakes get in my coop if I have the smallest entry way maybe I overlooked ? I would love some on my property but not at the expense of my flock. Thanks.

I don't know. Yes they might take an egg or maybe chick. That said .we have plenty around and I never lock my coop and have never even seen one in the coop or net perimeter . We have lost two hens to Hawks though.
And I don't think asking a question and having a discussion is rude.

I don't know. Yes they might take an egg or maybe chick. That said .we have plenty around and I never lock my coop and have never even seen one in the coop or net perimeter . We have lost two hens to Hawks though.
And I don't think asking a question and having a discussion is rude.

Thank you, feel better now. When I get chickens after many years of not being able to have them I so wanted them to free range in the yard but this bird of prey thing kinda makes it not fun anymore. Oh well, they have a right to be here too..

What IS a good bait for copperheads, black snakes, etc???
That would depend on the breed of blacksnake, (several breeds of snake are called Blacksnakes) an egg might work for most breeds of them but, something alive and warm like a small rodent or (shudder) one of your chicks would attract just about any blacksnake or copperhead, I quit using the eggs in the traps and just dig or place soil so that the snake while moving along the wall will be guided right into the funnel into the trap, I have caught most to the snakes this way.

Quote: I'm not a fan of Guinea Fowl really, most people don't eat them or their eggs so unless you are raising them to sell or show there isn't much use for them, While they do eat small snakes they also eat everything in the environment that eats small bugs. I would rather have a balanced system of natural wildlife to eat the mosquitoes, ticks and other critters than have a wiped out yard, and yes chickens will do the same thing to the environment but are much easier to contain and control and the bonus, they taste much better!

I just got another reason for loving my cold climate!!! I'd rather deal with a Grizzly Bear in my yard than snakes!!! At least I'll see the bear coming or the dogs will warn me, instead of the surprise of snakes! Shudder.
I lived in AK about 30 years ago and everyone always joked about the dreaded "Snow Snake" They don't bite or have venom but, if you stepped off the trail to do in the woods what bears do the Snowsnake might take advantage of your compromised position and crawl up ones bum and freeze you to death... prolly just an urban legend though...
idunno.gif

We've lost a few chicks and many eggs to black snakes. One was so fat after gobbling two, month old chicks that it couldn't get back out of the coop. (The chicks were in a dog crate inside the coop.)

Back
Top Bottom