Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Loosely roll the mesh around the bottom before you anchor it down. Snakes try to slither into the mesh but then get snared in it. I am sure some make it back out but enough did get trapped to make this my best option.

If you've ever tried to re-roll this mesh you will see how hard it is to get it apart and rolled up again as it snags on itself. This must be why this stuff seems to work well on the snakes. I've even had a snake caught up in the mesh I had stretched over my small fish pond. Again I have used the medium sized mesh.

I forgot to add to my earlier response that chicken predators include foxes, coyotes, and hawks. Hawks are notorious for swooping down and taking a chicken. With a fox/coyote, you will have feathers everywhere as the bird tries to fight it off, but not so with the hawk. Also, large rats, weasels and skunks will seize a chicken. Weasels and skunks and rats will eat the heads off first and maybe more of the body. In this situation you need to set a trap baited with food to ensnare the culprit.

I need to mention that a rooster plays an important role in keeping his hens safer as they make a certain clucking sound when it's time to head for shelter under a bush. It is imperative that your birds have someplace to hide when a hawk is flying over. Providing a low lying shrub or bush or some other structure is a MUST.

This is great! I have never had a problem with a snake getting into the coop, super secured, but I have had a rattler in the dog run! I wonder if I put a trap on the outside of the dog area it will attract the snake there before it goes into the dog area?? Ummm

This is great! I have never had a problem with a snake getting into the coop, super secured, but I have had a rattler in the dog run! I wonder if I put a trap on the outside of the dog area it will attract the snake there before it goes into the dog area?? Ummm

It would work, just place it along something like the wall or fence so that it funnels an exploring snake into it and it won't get out, Best of luck with the rattler..

I have seen a Black snake constrict and eat a copperhead 1/2 its size. I know we have a lot of first posts from the Snake Humane Society to not use the shovel but how do you think the chick feels when he gets taken by a snake.
Nature is pretty but not always nice and we are part of the ecosystem too.
If its a problem Black snake I would relocate if possible and if a copperhead its DOA. That said I have never had a problem black snake and the copperheads don't live long enough to become a problem.
One less snake is better than a chance of child , dog , chicken or adult getting bitten.
JMHO

ETA BTW Elwood great idea and thanks for the post - like the hat band idea - may need to try that on my next Copperhead- you just skin and dry or do you need to process it in some way.?
My feeling exactly.......Amen

Back
Top Bottom