Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Question;
I have two chickens. I am new to chickens. My rooster is nine months and my hen is seven months. Today I heard my hen screaming. I ran outside to check on her and low and behold there was a black snake with a red belly it had a odd shaped head. Their pen is 5 foot long, and he was in her nest wrapped up eating one egg, but was still hanging out of the pen a little. I opened the door and told them to "come on", the rooster came out. I ran and picked up my hen, she was trying to grab one of her eggs, and she is a bit small for a dark RI. I shot the snake, now my hen will not go near the other five eggs. Two the snake did not touch, but the other three it did. I cut them out.
So my questions are;
- Why is my hen not touching her eggs?
- How do I keep snakes out?
- Why did the snake go after her eggs?
- How did the snake get in?
and she is still little, barley sitting her eggs. We leave only six in there so she can learn to sit them. This happened not even four hours ago... She is acting like she is going to sit them, and sits most of the day but gets off for a few hours and then goes back and stays for a little and then gets off for a day. Its been a struggle to get her to sit. She has been laying every day since she was four and a half months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Grace

Question;
I have two chickens. I am new to chickens. My rooster is nine months and my hen is seven months. Today I heard my hen screaming. I ran outside to check on her and low and behold there was a black snake with a red belly it had a odd shaped head. Their pen is 5 foot long, and he was in her nest wrapped up eating one egg, but was still hanging out of the pen a little. I opened the door and told them to "come on", the rooster came out. I ran and picked up my hen, she was trying to grab one of her eggs, and she is a bit small for a dark RI. I shot the snake, now my hen will not go near the other five eggs. Two the snake did not touch, but the other three it did. I cut them out.
So my questions are;
- Why is my hen not touching her eggs?
- How do I keep snakes out?
- Why did the snake go after her eggs?
- How did the snake get in?
and she is still little, barley sitting her eggs. We leave only six in there so she can learn to sit them. This happened not even four hours ago... She is acting like she is going to sit them, and sits most of the day but gets off for a few hours and then goes back and stays for a little and then gets off for a day. Its been a struggle to get her to sit. She has been laying every day since she was four and a half months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Grace

A hen who lays is not broody. Period.

Hens unlike human mothers do not have to learn how to become a mother. They will start brooding when both the time and their hormones are fully ready.

cats are the only thing that has kept snakes away they say geese guineafowl and peacocks are suppose to but they dont. Maybe we need wild guineas? or peafowl? to do it. I know wild turkey catch big snakes.

Back
Top Bottom