Best Way To Feed Chickens

mrdruids

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
we were using a hanging feeder, first we used regular feed but its really expensive so we switched to the pellets but the girls like to knock the food onto the ground and kick it around and pellets started turning into muddy clay stuff in the rain, so we switched back to regular feed and now i just dump a pile on the ground each day and they kick it around and are happy, would they like it better if i just tossed feed all over the yard each day? what do you do?

Last edited:
I would still use a feeder. There are many styles, some bought, some homemade. Without a good feeder, waste is a huge issue. The waste of money, the attraction of rodents, nothing about waste is attractive. Just tossing feed isn't what I would do.

Spend some time researching quality feeders. Also, consider portion feeding morning and night. This virtually eliminates waste, but is much more labor intensive. There are countless, countless threads on feeders and avoiding waste here. Some of the discussion is conflicting, but the point is, there are options to try.

In the end, try other methods. Find a solution that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom