Best way to fix yellow squash?

Sitka

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Seattle, Washington
A neighbor gave us some yellow squash.
What is the best way to fix it?
(I have done the simple thing of just cooking it in a pan with butter, and that was good, but looking for other simple ideas.)

Keep in mind that I am not an experienced cook.

My wife is sick and not up to cooking.

Any ideas appreciated.

Is is summer or winter squash?

If it's winter squash (Butternut, Hubbard, Acorn, etc)
I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, place face down in pan with small amount of water in it, and bake for an hour. Let cool, scrape off of the skin, and serve with salt, pepper and butter, or butter and brown sugar (or maple syrup). It's super easy and oh, so tasty!

If it's summer squash (yellow crookneck)
clean and slice into thin rounds, saute with Pam(cooking spray) and sprinkle with garlic and herb seasoning, cook both sides until tender, top with any kind of cheese, and eat. Yummy! You can also top it with spaghetti sauce and cheese. Sometimes I'll go pick one from the garden, cook it up, and eat a whole one for dinner. Tasty and healthy.

Last edited:
Southern style:
Slice squash in half lengthwise, then in half-moons

Peel and cut top and root from a whole sweet onion, slice in half top-to-bottom, then slice again into narrow slivers (sort of like cutting a pie)

Put onions and squash into a saute pan with about 1-2 tbs butter or oil (depending on the amount of veg.) on medium flame/heat and stir until beginning to wilt. Put a top on on the pan if you want it to go faster, but you'll get liquid in the pan.

Add salt and pepper to taste about midway through cooking. When the oinions and squash are tender, and most of the liquid is cooked out, check seasoning and add if needed. Top with a 1/4 cup Parmesean or cheddar and put in the oven for a few minutes to melt and brown the cheese. (Easy way is to just put top back on pan and let it steam on stove top until melted, but the cheese won't brown.)

NOTE: You can also put onion, squash and seasoning in a double thickness of foil, seal up well, and put on the grill while you cook chicken/steak. (No cheese.) This is pretty delicious too, and easy cleanup.

Quote:
Slice lengthwise into thick slices. Lightly oil and herbs to taste-----throw them on the grill, get the char lines on both sides, then eat. Also grill your peppers--YUM YUM.

.Real Southern Style. Slice squash into about 1/4in round slices. Place in bowl along with cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. Roll the squash around until it has a good coating of the cornmeal/flour mix. Place in a hot pan of grease at about 300 degrees. Fry until golden brown, turning as needed. ( I like mine almost black) Grease can be Crisco, Lard, Bacon Grease, or Olive oil, depending on how well your heart can take it. Enjoy

Alternate Southern method. Same as above but also add Okra, or sliced green tomatoes.

Or Just forget the Squash and use just Okra or sliced green tomatoes or both. Maybe also add some green cayenne pepper.

Durn, Making myself hungry.

Cut it in half lengthwise & grill it just like that. When it comes out put some butter on it (like you'd do corn on the cob) and sprinkle it with some salt & pepper. Or better yet, some "Everglades Seasoning" if you have that. Delicious!

Chop it up with some onion. Add some salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over the squash. Beat up an egg or two, depending on how much squash your adding. Stir all together; add a little milk if its too dry. Fry in patties.

Yummy...

I basically treat it like zucchini, especially the young, tender squash. You can grind/shred it up and use it in recipes that call for zucchini like bread, cakes and cookies. I just make sure to remove the seeds from the larger squash, just like I do with zucchini.

The best way to fix a yellow squash is with a weed wacker.

Sorry, still recovering the great zuke/cuke invasion of 2007.

Back
Top Bottom