Best way to keep water from freezing?

This may sound silly, and I have not tried it, therefore I cannot recommend it.
However, if you are shy on electric lines going to the coop (for whatever reasons: lack of funds, fear of fires, etc..)
I met a gentleman in the hunting isle (not me, the Rev. was) he had a cart full of those keep warm packages...(cna't think of the name sorry) you simply squish them and they put out heat to keep hands or feet warm while outside, they work for up to 8 hours.
We talked about hunting, and he said, quote "I put these up under my waterers...it keeps the water from freezing on cold nights"

So there, absolutely no tried & true personal testimony, but thought I would pass it along.

I am testing crock pots and heated foot baths to keep water thawed. I get them cheap at Goodwill. I am going to make a box to limit their access so they don't perch and poop.

why wouldn't they have the filler on top so you don't have to turn it over? I don't understand what the designers of it were thinking. Unless I am missing something?
roll.png

I am talking about this waterer…

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=23286

Last edited:
Quote:
They work on a vacuum or siphon principle, if there were a filler on top, when you opened it all the water would run out. That's why I got rid of mine.

5 gallon bucket (free), 3 nipples ($6), bird bath de-icer or aquarium heater ($15-$30.)

ahhh, I get it now. Yea, it is such a pain right? or was a pain for you. I still have mine. Was there a pic of your setup?

Quote:
They work on a vacuum or siphon principle, if there were a filler on top, when you opened it all the water would run out. That's why I got rid of mine.

5 gallon bucket (free), 3 nipples ($6), bird bath de-icer or aquarium heater ($15-$30.)

Quote:

Do the nipples stay ice free in the coop or out? I have thought about switching to the nipples for cleanliness but assumed the would freeze even if you kept the water supply from freezing.

Back
Top Bottom