Best way to trap a fox

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
We have had a few chickens go missing at the farm. Pile of feathers here…few days later another. I think we have lost 5 hens in the last few weeks. Yesterday we saw it was a fox. Our flocks free range on 100 acres, and have a secure night coop. We cannot lock 50 chickens in a run, it’s just not practical. Any tips on trapping a fox, what to do, what not to do?

They live trap fairly easy if you have one....I try to disguise them some but it's really not needed. I use cat food and take some of the feathers and throw them about near the trap and inside the trap. It may take a little while but you will get him eventually, that being said I have one roaming around at night and I have been trying to get him for a week now. I may have to resort to my thermal rifle scope.

i would use a cage trap or foot hold style trap, depending if you have free ranges cats or dogs for example i would use a cage style trap.

i have never trapped foxes before but know people who have, don't let people make you think there the toughest thing to trap, been told plenty of times coyotes are harder to trap and wolves are even harder.

i would use a cage trap or foot hold style trap, depending if you have free ranges cats or dogs for example i would use a cage style trap.

i have never trapped foxes before but know people who have, don't let people make you think there the toughest thing to trap, been told plenty of times coyotes are harder to trap and wolves are even harder.
They are fairly easy to get but can be quite a problem on occasion. I predator trap during the winter and catch anywhere from 25-50 coyotes, 15-20 bobcats,10-15 fox and too many raccoons and possums to count per year, mostly on my farm. Up until this past trapping season, I have just released the foxes but now that I have chickens that will not happen again. I'm afraid the one that I'm presently dealing with was one that I released so he knows the game....that makes for a not so easy one to remove.

Back
Top Bottom