Bickering quail - what to do?

joannas11

Chirping
Mar 6, 2020
UK
I have had another thread recently as 1 of my 6 quail hens was attacked by another and had eye and head injuries - her name is Barley. I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or continue on from the previous one so sorry if I've gone with the wrong option.

Barley has been in a carrier by herself for about a week but now recovered and desperate to get out of the carrier so on Friday, I re-introduced her to the group. At the time, I rearranged everything and added in some new hidey places. The area is about 7ft by 3.5ft and they had been living happily for 3 months together. My 6 hens are: 2 standard coturnix colouring (one of these is Barley, who was injured), 1 Jumbo, 1 Tibetan and 2 Tuxedo.
When I first re-introduced Barley, everything seemed fine but relations deteriorated the next day. The Jumbo now pecks at either of the two standard colouring quails whenever they go past but doesn't seek them out to peck at them - I've never seen this before the reintroduction. The other standard hen (her name is Buttercup) and one of the Tuxedos have become aggressive towards Barley and have started chasing her round and pecking her either on the back of the head or the back of the body. She sometimes gets some periods of calm when everyone is relaxed or she can find a hiding place but it does seem to be getting worse.
Buttercup does often seem agitated. She does this thing where she runs up and down alongside the wall and will run over / on top of any quail that is sat next to the wall. She spends a lot of time running up and down, taking breaks to chase Barley around and peck at her. I was wondering if this behaviour might have something to do with the aggression? Our garden is quite small and there is a fair bit of noise around - cars, dogs barking, building works etc. which I can't really do anything about.
The Tuxedo is quite different in that she is quite bolshy - she is always at the door when I come in and often pecks my feet etc and doesn't seem afraid of anything or bothered by noise so maybe one is copying the other with attacking Barley?
As far as I can make out, they are all hens - I've never heard any crowing or seen any mating behaviours. Barley and Buttercup look like hens from their feathers.
So, I am thinking about what to do next - is it possible this is just them getting reacquainted and things will settle down? I have sat in there with a water spray, spraying the culprits when they attack which I could continue doing but obviously can't do this indefinitely and things seem calmer when I'm not in there.
I could set up some kind of partition and put Barley in with one of the two who have not gotten involved but this would be quite difficult logistically. I've also thought about a separate rabbit hutch but she wouldn't have as much space and deep litter would not be as easy to do and that would be potentially expensive.
Another factor is that I am in the process of setting up an outdoor run for them with a little tunnel which could mix things up enough to stabilise relations but I don't know how much use they will get from that over the winter.

Thank you for reading this essay 🤦‍♀️ I would be very grateful for any suggestions or ideas.

Lots of talk on other threads at the moment about an apple cider vinegar + water mix that you can spray on them to neutralise their individual smell and get everyone back on an even playing field. You can also apparently spray the space as well. I would try that. Some people have used normal white vinegar diluted as well - I haven't personally tried either but others seem to have good results!

Thank you both for your replies! I made Barley her own little area using panels from a cube storage type thing. This worked out ok but Buttercup would still attack her if she got too close to the mesh. I also saw Buttercup attacking another one of the quails, so I decided to try a swap.
I sprayed Barley thoroughly first with warm water, white vinegar and a little bit of shampoo and I also did a thorough clean of their area and rearranged their hidey places, then reintroduced Barley and put Buttercup in the isolation area instead.

Things are so calm now! Everyone in the main area is really chilled and there's been no aggression or panicked running around. I don't know if this is because the vinegar thing worked or because Buttercup was the ringleader but I hope it lasts!
Buttercup has been spending a lot of time in the hidey place in her area. I wonder whether she was just stressed out before and is happier now she's got her own little place to hide but I am new to this so still learning about quail behaviour.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-09-29 at 17.35.36.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-29 at 17.35.36.jpeg
    897.5 KB · Views: 10
Thank you both for your replies! I made Barley her own little area using panels from a cube storage type thing. This worked out ok but Buttercup would still attack her if she got too close to the mesh. I also saw Buttercup attacking another one of the quails, so I decided to try a swap.
I sprayed Barley thoroughly first with warm water, white vinegar and a little bit of shampoo and I also did a thorough clean of their area and rearranged their hidey places, then reintroduced Barley and put Buttercup in the isolation area instead.

Things are so calm now! Everyone in the main area is really chilled and there's been no aggression or panicked running around. I don't know if this is because the vinegar thing worked or because Buttercup was the ringleader but I hope it lasts!
Buttercup has been spending a lot of time in the hidey place in her area. I wonder whether she was just stressed out before and is happier now she's got her own little place to hide but I am new to this so still learning about quail behaviour.
I'm glad to hear things are looking better! The real test will be when you reintroduce Buttercup to the bigger area.. Looking at your photo (and I know I can't see the whole area, and there are hidey places off to the right that are only just in the frame) I would say add more hiding places - The more they have, the happier they'll be, and if you think Buttercup potentially has been stressed in the larger area, giving her more places to feel safe will probably help. My aviary has almost the same amount of floorspace used by hidey holes as it does open area and my quail seem happier since I've added extra places for them to take cover.

Thanks @QuailTail I would like to add some more hidey places but need to leave a path to walk down so I don't trip over 🤦‍♀️ Do you have any tips for things to use for little hidey places?

Thanks @QuailTail I would like to add some more hidey places but need to leave a path to walk down so I don't trip over 🤦‍♀️ Do you have any tips for things to use for little hidey places?
Quail love cinder blocks. They hide in them, run their beaks and on them, stand on them etc. I have a grow out with the entire back wall lined in cinderblocks, and they love them.

I only have button quail, but here's my ideas. I use fake plants, if you get some bigger ones with heavy bottoms, you could bury the bottom under the shavings they might stay. You could also look at rodent-type-critter hidey hole things, like this and this. Those are just my ideas, I've never used them, so I don't know if they'd work for that purpose.

I totally understand! @ButtonHoarder is right about the plants, anything that they can seek shelter behind. Even if you just get some branches with leaves from outside and (leaves down, stick up) lean them up against the sides of your enclosure at an angle they'll love that to scoot behind! Or putting something like a board across the tops of two of your hidey holes to make a roof between them, that takes up no more space but creates an extra shelter.

Back
Top Bottom