Bielefelder Breeding - Choosing the best cockerel...

Which cockerel?

• Mr. Grey Floral

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Mr. Green

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Mr. Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mr. Curled Beak

• Mr. White

• Total voters

DeadDogClub

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 15, 2014
Last summer I purchased Bielefelder eggs from NPIP sources Vaughn Family Farm out of Cairo, GA and another breeder in Bolivia, NC - both advertised to have sourced their stock from GFF.

To date, I have six cockerels and three pullets from those eggs. They are now almost 8 months old and the hens have been laying for 1-2 weeks. They overwintered very well in Northern MN in an unheated coop with my other mix of mutt and retired hens.

The plan has been to keep the two best cockerels for breeding stock and hatch more of my own eggs this spring and summer as I transition to a BF only stock.

If I post comparative photos of the six cockerels in the comments below, would anyone be able to advise me on which cocks to choose? I have a copy of the translated breed standards that I have been trying to follow, but I would like more opinions.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Please advise if this thread should be somewhere else on the forum...

Mr Grey Floral Tie -

Meets comb and feather standards to the best of my judging ability, although there is more grey barring than others in the flock who have none on their chest. One of the largest of the six cocks. Seems popular with the ladies - there is at least one hen that always stays close. If I had to pick one right now without knowing anything further, it would probably be him.

ie -

Mr. Green -

As large or larger than the above cock, he is also vocal and popular with the ladies. My main concern is the number of serrated points on his comb.

Last edited:
Mr. Brown - popular with the ladies, but 8+ Serrated points on his comb if I've counted correctly!

Last edited:
Mr Long Beak -

Smaller comb but with 5+ serrations, a vibrant red hue, mid size of the six.

Mr. White -

He has the most gray in his chest with a sickle tail feather that is 2/3 pure white with the remaining 1/3 barred grey. His reds are the most vibrant and his saddle colors pop out at you. He has a questionable number of serrations on his comb. He seems to cover the smaller, diminutive mutt and retired hens I have housed with them in the coop. He has a cockier (pardon the pun) attitude than the others. The BF hens don't seem drawn to him.

Mr Skinny -

I only include him in the photos as an afterthought. He is either a sad specimen or an incredibly late bloomer. He is long and lean and has a very small chest compared to the other cockerels. This photo doesn't show it, but his comb actually splits into double serrations at the apex.

Last edited:
In conclusion, Mr Grey Floral Tie is the cockerel I have the most confidence in. I had hoped to keep two cockerels of the six, but will do what is best. I would love input from other breeders.

Also, since hens can maintain sperm for four weeks, are there any serious defects in these photos that would tell you to not collect eggs for hatching until a month after the remaining cockerels have been culled?

I know nothing about the breed, but like how you've set this up. You've provided multiple different angles, allowing people to get a better look at each bird instead of just the usual single photo. Good job, and hope you get some great advise from someone who knows the breed well.

Back
Top Bottom