Big bruise and diarrhea - Is it bad?

Linita

Chirping
Dec 16, 2022
Hi,

I have a japanese coturnix quail. 15 months old. A couple days ago or so I was checking a small wound she had, and she fought and fell out of my hands. She took a 50cm fall or so, and I saw her landing close to her butt.
I checked on her afterwards and didn't saw anything, and she kept going like nobody's business so I thought I got lucky.

But today I have realised she has a big bruise close to her vent. The vent itself it's ok. I'd think it's because of that fall. The bruise it's only on her right side, the other side looks ok.

The small wound I mentioned before I was checking when all this happened, I've been disinfecting and applying antibiotic cream 2 times a day. It's a bit swollen but doesn't look too red or too bad.

She also has been having diarrhea for 2-3 days. I don't remember super exactly. No blood or anything strange besides all she poops is diarrhea.

Most of her life I've been giving her feeding A no problem. 2-3 months ago I changed the feed to feeding B and had no issues.

Now just a few days ago I switched her back to feeding A again. I wonder if this may be the cause of diarrhea. Initially she reacted well to it. The feeding doesn't smell bad or anything. And she had no problem with it before. Besides that I've giving her some fruit and veggies but in small quantities like always, nothing out of the ordinary, but maybe one of the veggies/fruit had something that made her digestive system sick, I don't know. She lives indoors so it can't be anything contagious from another animal.

She acts totally normal, is very energetic, eats normal and maybe drinks a bit more than usual.

The bedding is pristine, I spot clean at least twice a day, and change it every few days.

Everytime something happens to her I freak out a lot. And I'm trying to keep it cool this time. Thinking it's probably nothing, the bruise will heal and the diarrhea we'll see. I've switched her back now to feeding B to see if diarrhea gets better.

She has a nipple drinker but I'm going to wash it and disinfect it just in case.

So here are my questions:

1. What are the common diseases that can cause diarrhea? What should I look for/what to do?

2. Would you worry about the bruise? Does it look bad to you? How do you treat bruises?

Here I leave some pictures of the bruise and also the diarrhea.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1711319302036.jpg
    1711319302036.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1711319302053.jpg
    1711319302053.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1711319302061.jpg
    1711319302061.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The loose poop could be from changing up the feed, I'd see if that improves once you get the feed situation sorted out.

She's indoors, does she have another Quail or two with her? How did you get injured/have a wound?

For wound care, I'd clean any open sores/wounds with saline, Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) or Povidone Iodine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment. Tend to the wound daily.

As for the bruise. No one can say how "bad" it is. Yes, she's bruised and hopefully it's nothing serious and she will heal up o.k.

Back
Top Bottom