Egg bound: More common in regularly laying or hens coming off break? Is diarrhea a primary symptom?

crystlln

Chirping
Aug 10, 2021
Are hens more susceptible to being egg bound when regularly laying or when coming off a laying break? Is

For context, I have a 2.5 year hen who yesterday I noticed was fluffed, lethargic, purplish comb, and had a very poopy butt. Yesterday, I cleaned her vent area because I was suspicious it was blocked with dried poop. Vent looked healthy. Today she is even more lethargic, not coming to see me, not eating. I saw one incident of liquid diarrhea and her feathers are very poopy again. I'm just wondering if I should treat this as primarily diarrhea or need to investigate if she's egg bound. I don't want to stress her more than necessary. And suggestions for easy treatment of diarrhea? My chickens get home treatment, not vet treatment.

Diarrhea is a common problem with hens and is very difficult to treat. Moulting hens seem to be prone to it, possibly because some, especially ranging hens, eat a lot less commercial feed and tend to forage more. Usually it sorts itself out over time. I suggest you weigh the hen your concerned about and keep track of whether she's losing weight.
Checking for egg binding is pretty straightforward. Grease your finger with some coconut and grease the hens vent. Gently insert your finger into her vent. You can go up to the second knuckle on a forefinger. If she is egg bound you'll be able to feel the egg.

Diarrhea is a common problem with hens and is very difficult to treat. Moulting hens seem to be prone to it, possibly because some, especially ranging hens, eat a lot less commercial feed and tend to forage more. Usually it sorts itself out over time. I suggest you weigh the hen your concerned about and keep track of whether she's losing weight.
Checking for egg binding is pretty straightforward. Grease your finger with some coconut and grease the hens vent. Gently insert your finger into her vent. You can go up to the second knuckle on a forefinger. If she is egg bound you'll be able to feel the egg.
Thanks for the advice. If she is egg bound, is treatment often successful? That is part of my reluctance to examine. But I think I will hunt down some gloves and try.

Thanks for the advice. If she is egg bound, is treatment often successful? That is part of my reluctance to examine. But I think I will hunt down some gloves and try.
Don't use gloves. Clean bare hands makes things a lot easier.
Calcium Citrate many say has helped the hen push the egg out. Also a warm bath with Epsom Salts has been successful.

Don't use gloves. Clean bare hands makes things a lot easier.
Calcium Citrate many say has helped the hen push the egg out. Also a warm bath with Epsom Salts has been successful.
Well, thankfully she doesn't seem to be egg bound. Guess we just wait and see if she turns a corner and recovers.

Back
Top Bottom