Big Duck/Small Duck

allyallyjohnson

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
I have two Khaki Campbell ducks that are approx 2 months old. One duck is a little larger than the other and it is the first one to come to you when you have treats (typically mealworms or oats) and it seems like the smaller one is not getting or as much as the larger one. At this time I am unsure of the sex of either duck and I bought them at Tractor Supply so age is approximate and the sizes are different enough for me to be able to tell them apart. I know the bigger one could just be older or a boy or something but should I be worried about the smaller one? She does eat the food that I put out in the pen and she does get treats. And both of them forage in the yard all day long. The difference is the bigger one will eat out of your hand and the smaller one seems scared even though I have fed them treats out of my hand many times. I would say she's scared of humans but she does come up to me and she'll peck at my feet and legs and stuff. I'm sure this is just my imagination but I don't want the smaller one to feel like I am keeping her out and not giving her treats because I do and I do try to let her eat from me it's just she won't eat out of my hand and when I throw out live worms the bigger one almost always gets the two that I give them. Anyone else have any ducks like this?

Sidenote I tend to refer to my ducks as "she" because well I hope they are girls
smile.png

Usually the females are larger. Have they both quacked? You should be able to voice sex them soon. Do you have any pics showing size differences? As long as the smaller one looks and seems healthy and happy I wouldn't be too concerned. Just keep an eye on them and see if you notice anything abnormal. Maybe getting some alone time with the smaller duck will make it come to you easier.

Drake are usually larger but normally voicing in mallard derived is first give away, drakes have a raspy undertone, almost oops my voice is lost whereas the females are loud full on quack, typical of what one thinks of when you have quacking ducks.

DRake curls appear later on too and in some breed distinct colour differences, even coloured heads. The shyness, frankly ime ducks have personalities which means some are outgoing, some aloof.. if "she" seem healthy overall probably is, given time may come around, hard to say.

We'd love to see your kids! and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom