Big hatcheries 90% sexing accuracy

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
The big commercial hatcheries claim that they have 90% accuracy on sexing chicks and with vent sexing thats pretty good 90%.
I'm a member of a couple different chicken owner Facebook groups and I see people posting all the time,
"I bought 10 sexed pullets at TSC and got 7 roosters!"
So yeah that 90% sexing accuracy the big hatcheries claim is way off..
I see people posting on Facebook that the big hatcheries have even been inaccurate with red and black sex links and still get roos.
I don't get it.
Do they have a employee that is color blind sexing the red and black sex links?
So my curiosity got going?
Do the big commercial hatcheries garuntee a higher accuracy % with red and black sex links because well it should be 100% accuracy(unless employee is color blind)
Ok so I sent a email to Hoover hatchery and asked them if they have a better sexing accuracy and offer compensation if their wrong red and black sex links.
This was their response....
Screenshot_20191011-200117.png
Screenshot_20191011-200059.png
Screenshot_20191011-200117.png
Screenshot_20191011-200104.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always ordered from My Pet Chicken who have a 100% sexing guarantee. They have never been wrong for me. I've order more than 100 chicks from them over the past decade, sexed bantams too, never a wrong bird for me.

Hatcheries that offers 90% sexing guarantee has leeway to slip in 10% worth of mistakes into your order. I'm sure some is on purpose.

Tractor supply is a whole different category of messed up as far as chicks go.

Tractor Supply often screws up somewhere between receiving chicks and putting them into the display. So far I have had 100% sexing accuracy from Hatcheries including Hoover but Tractor Supply often sells straight run as Pullets because workers screw up. Some people just aren't into Chickens but they need a job... I bet if I was working at Starbucks I would screw up coffee orders because I am not into fancy named coffees.

I've had 99%+ sexing accuracy from the major hatcheries I've ordered from. This year I even ordered straight run of a couple of breeds with the expectation of having mostly cockerels to put in the freezer and got 75% pullets.

"I bought 10 sexed pullets at TSC and got 7 roosters!"
So yeah that 90% sexing accuracy the big hatcheries claim is way off..
I see people posting on Facebook that the big hatcheries have even been inaccurate with red and black sex links and still get roos.
I don't get it?
Are the big hatcheries just being dicks?
Do they have a employee that is color blind sexing the red and black sex links?
The problem is not with the hatchery, it's with the middle man. TSC is notorious for not knowing breeds, whether the chicks are straight run or sexed, etc. They sell Cornish X as Leghorn pullets, Asian black straight runs as black sex links, black sex link cockerels as barred Rock pullets, and so on. I can see it happening with other feed stores as well since so many chicks have similar chick down.

However for those who order directly with a hatchery their chance of mis-sexed males is almost 0%.

I've had 99%+ sexing accuracy from the major hatcheries I've ordered from. This year I even ordered straight run of a couple of breeds with the expectation of having mostly cockerels to put in the freezer and got 75% pullets.

The problem is not with the hatchery, it's with the middle man. TSC is notorious for not knowing breeds, whether the chicks are straight run or sexed, etc. They sell Cornish X as Leghorn pullets, Asian black straight runs as black sex links, black sex link cockerels as barred Rock pullets, and so on. I can see it happening with other feed stores as well since so many chicks have similar chick down.

However for those who order directly with a hatchery their chance of mis-sexed males is almost 0%.

Oh ok.
I'm thinking about ordering 10 red sex link pullets from TSC's online ordering system.
I have never ordered chicks before.
They come from Hoover hatchery and are delivered to the nearest local post office.
There price is $32.85 for 10 red sex link pullets all taxes, fees and shipping included in that price $32.85

They have 100% sexing at hatcheries, I've ordered many times from various hatcheries always get what I order and a few extra roosters to boot :lau have to get rid of them somehow.
TSC, they don't know what they are talking about, and I'm in a rural farming town. Asked them to pick me out the silkies once out of their bantam bin of mixed, just give me the one's with five toes, looked at me like I had two heads, and then were in shock when they seen some had five toes :gig

We ordered 6 day old female chicks from Meyer Hatchery and when I asked they said they have a 100% guarantee. They are only 2 weeks old, so I don't know for sure they got it right yet.

I have mis-sexed a black sex link male before. It had a very pale, small head spot (more like a small streak), so it isn't impossible to get sex linked chicks wrong every once in a while.

I got 4 chicks, 1 was suppose to be a rooster from the bantam bin but it's a pullet silkie!! I really wanted my purebred silkies to breed so I got a roo! But it wasn't.. INSTEAD one of my "supposedly" pullets is a roo!!! I was really looking forward for the eggs from it to :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom