bigger brooder ideas?

morgandrew86

In the Brooder
May 8, 2018
Reno Nv
hello! our new chicks are gonna go on 2.5 weeks and are getting bigger, right now that are in a plastic storage tote and doing fine but its gonna be time to start thinking about a bigger brooder... what do you guys use for those yourself? i would love to see some easy ideas that will hold up in my garage for a few weeks :)

I just make a box out of plywood with hinged hardware cloth top.

Here’s a link for many ideas. Mine is post #3538 - we built this out of scrap wood. Easy, but always takes time to work with hardware cloth (on the top of the brooder). It is 3x6. Weather was uncooperative this spring so coop isn’t completed yet (will be this weekend), and my10 week olds (17of them) still spend the night in it as it is moveable and safe since it is in a garage. Tight fit, but glad we had a large and moveable brooder.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/brooder-thread-post-pics-of-your-brooders.6233/page-354

I only have 3 little Silkies (this can definitely hold more) but they are outgrowing their tote by week 2 already. I bought this from Chewy.com. It is 62”x36” with a vinyl floor that zips out and a screen top that also zips. There are several side entrances. I use a brooder heat plate and there is a cord spot. The bottom lip is big enough to hold a couple of inches of shavings. Best part, I can take them outside in it and just remove the bottom to let them scratch/peck at the grass and when they are coop ready, it folds up to a flat panel with carry case.
DCA010F8-34DE-44BF-8181-A0A415D52FE1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom