Biggest pre-built coop with run?

ElysianBlight

In the Brooder
May 10, 2018
Kansas City, MO
I'm trying to get started with chickens in a suburb with an average size yard.. our ordinances limit us to 15, and obviously they wont be able to free range. I'm also assuming I need a movable coop/run to keep the area fresh. So I'm looking at pre-fab coops.. but I don't think there are any that are big enough for 15 birds to live in full time?
Has anyone found anything like that?

Right now I think the biggest one I can find is this one
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ra-large-green-walk-in-coop-up-to-18-chickens
Which looks/sounds like it would be able to handle 4-5 birds full time?
Am I correct in that?

I probably wont go above 4-5 birds for awhile anyway, but I would like room to expand if I can find it. I know building my own might be recommended but.. I'm not good at that, and I want it to look as nice as possible so the neighbors don't have any reason to complain.

I looked at that exact same coop and found it extremely small and wobbly. I honestly wouldn't put more than 4 chickens in it. What I ended up doing for $200 more was buying a pre-cut shed kit at Lowes (I'm no carpenter but I built it!). So for $600 I got an 8x8 wooden shed for my chickens. You'd get WAY more room than you'd need for 4-5 birds with room to expand for chicken math. They look nice too. What neighbor would complain about a pretty shed?

Oh, and for a chicken run, we just bought a dog run and reinforced it with hardware cloth. Nothing fancy. They can be easily moved and attached to the shed/coop with a tube of hardware cloth that the chickens run through to get to their new location.

You are correct on many counts.
With close neighbors you want something nice.
That coop clearly won't hold the 18 chickens it claims. (shame on them)
Rule of thumb is 4 sq. ft. per bird in a coop and 10 sq. ft. per bird in the run at a minimum.
Moveable is nice if it can keep predators out.
Predators can dig, rip through chicken wire and get into spaces as small as an inch.
Many people are not inclined to build their own but it is advisable.
Pre-built coops are way overpriced, often poorly built and obviously designed by carpenters with little or no knowledge of chickens. They could save money on the nest boxes which are more than your chickens will need.
Two other options are to buy a garden shed and add windows, roosts and nests to finish the job. The other is to go to the list of coops on here and hire a carpenter to build one you like. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/

Back
Top Bottom