Bins for nesting boxes?

Chicken'n'bees :

Quote:
that's what they say but all my hens use one box anyway so I took the second box out... it was taking up space. FYI they dont have to be square, round is okay too, like someone said above.. they use buckets turned on their sides. Basically big enough for your biggest hen to get into is what you need.

Nancy

These are all great ideas. When I read back what I had written, I meant to say 1 box per every 3 birds, ...so for my 6 hens it would be 2 boxes. It sounds like almost anything will do, just so long as it fits the largest hen. Unless the Buff turns out to be a Roo, I am assuming the Buff will be the largest hen or the Barred Rock, they seem to be the largest so far.​

Ahhh, you, too, are wise.

Quote:
I think the "Pantry Bins" are what I was remembering reading about. I think they sound good. How tall are they in the back? We will have an outside door to reach the eggs through and I wondered if we would still be able to reach down in from behind.

Chicken'n'bees :

Quote:
I think the "Pantry Bins" are what I was remembering reading about. I think they sound good. How tall are they in the back? We will have an outside door to reach the eggs through and I wondered if we would still be able to reach down in from behind.

Yes, these are the kiind I got. They will nestle for storage and stack on top of one another for use holding stuff. I've got a pic, but don't know how to post it.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Nice bins. I don't think they would work for a nest in my situation, but they have given me a good idea for storage. Thanks.

I love the flower pot Idea.. some clay pots on their side.. CUTE> however I know they won't stay cute or clean.. so , probably still leaning towards litter boxes for the easy clean and bleaching..

Chicken'n'bees :

I remember reading that someone used some plastic bins of some sort as nesting boxes. Does anyone remember who wrote about them and where they got them? Is that a good idea for easy cleaning? Any ideas for nesting boxes would be appreciated, I'm a newbie.

Here are my nest boxes in which I have storage bins:

14089_nest_boxes.jpg

The bins are Stanley #5 bins .​

Those aren't the same bins I have. I'll try to post a picture here. The problem I had was that DH had built the nest boxes more like shelves -- and out of lattice at that. He insisted that when I lined it with straw it would be ok, but it still didn't create the cubby that the girls wanted. So I added the bins and it was a great (cheap) fix!

26854_nest_boxes_001.jpg

~kat

Back
Top Bottom