Bipolar rooster šŸ“

I agree whole heartedly with Bobbi-j. Roosters can really damage small children who can take the attack in the face. A rotten rooster have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. He should be gone.

Nearly everyone, who have had chickens for years, has their pet theory for raising them. Roosters are a crap shoot, some work and some don't. My MIL told me the secret of a good rooster is a sharp knife, keep culling them until you get a nice one.

I think the best roosters tend to be raised in a multi-generational flock. If you do dispatch this one, just ask at the local poultry club or feed store. You are looking for a rooster that has been raised in a multi-generational flock, that has at least some time free ranging, and if you get your druthers, with a good master rooster. One that was so nice, just didn't get culled.

If you want to raise your own, then pray for a broody hen, slip straight run chicks under her, let her raise them up. They will not be pets, they will give you space. Cockerels benefit mightily from NOT being the biggest in the flock while growing up. I think roosters raised with flock mates rapidly out grow them, and become bullies and respect nothing.

So I would let this one go, and ask around, or try again in the spring.

Mrs K
I like your MILā€™s method. Tried and true!

@Mrs. K & @Folly's place have much experience with this and wonderful advice (I always enjoy reading their posts) . It's difficult for a brand new chicken keeper to have a rooster (ask me how I know ~ same thing happened here!) especially if a child is involved (my daughter is 9 years old). You really have to have a certain confidence about dealing with a rooster and so many of them will take advantage of the first sign of uncertainty and/or nervousness. My first 3 chickens were all roosters and only one of them is an intelligent bird. After raising them up (spoiling and cuddling) from chicks, 2 of them turned human aggressive around 7-9 months old (I can't remember the exact age, but they were under a year old). The other is the only one that doesn't attack humans, so I consider him intelligent compared to his flockmates.

Having small children involved is reason enough to eliminate this idiot cockerel soonest, before he injures someone.
Having cockerels raised with adult hens, at least, does help. Get some experience with your new flock, and consider getting chicks in spring, and select a couple of reasonable cockerels out of that group.
Human aggression is both genetic, and helped along sometimes by management, and can't be fixed easily, if at all.
Good roosters should spend their time watching for danger (not you!), and treating and courting their ladies. Cockerels don't start with these skills, but develop over time, and should never cause injuries to their pullets, hens, or any human.
Here we have multiple cockerels and adult roosters, who have to get along, and not think bad thoughts toward any humans, or they are gone.
@Beekissed , @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach all have good articles here about roosters, worth reading.
Here we've given up on the whole 'reform' plan with obnoxious birds, it's not worth the time or effort, most especially having children present.
Mary

View attachment 2343399my rooster I've raised for 7 months is becoming mean he attached me if I move too fast or if I wear clothing that's too colorful I want to just put him in the freezer what did I do wrong and how can I make this not happen in the future I have small kids that can't be involved because of him and I need a rooster because I have alot of hawks where I live
I dot know is any one has recomended this but chicken blinder are to keep them from attacking you.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 0
Thank you to everyone who helped I ended up rehoming the rooster and we got a smaller rooster He's white and black He's beautiful as well and he has a fear of people so he just runs away from you which is nice for the other rooster he went to a farm to service a lot more ladies than I had so he'll be a good little rooster over there and they had no kids So that's also good

You didnā€™t do anything wrong, some are just like that. You only need a rooster to make chicks. Without one the girls will take care of each other.

Back
Top Bottom