bird flu

Xtineart

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2014
not in my hens as far as I know thank goodness, but there have been warning on the news today about a couple of outbreaks at UK poultry farms and warnings about the possible spread to wild and pet birds. The warning signs are a bit concerning as they say to watch for a drop in egg production, but as it's winter eggs are slowing anyway, blue colour around the neck, I'm not sure how you are supposed to see this, and that you shouldn't have too much contact with birds if possible.

My free range honey pies love nothing more in this grey, gloomy mucky weather than to come into the house in the mornings for a cuddle after breakfast and egg laying and a quick 'faux dust bath' on the hall carpet (they love a good scratch on the carpet pile). I cant imagine not giving them a daily hug but I also have asthma and have to go for my flu jab this week as it is. I'm a little bit scared for my babies, but am I worried unnecessarily?

Glad you posted this, hope some one chimes in with what to look out for as I'm in East Yorkshire where the out break has been confirmed. To be quite honest I'm bricking it for the sake of my flock. They havnt even said what strain it is. I just hope it dosnt get my flock. The outbreak is about an hour and a half drive away from me.

Oh my, I live near hull East Yorkshire, and really worried
Can we get a vaccine from the vet for bird flu?
My. 2 pet chickens free range robust the garden during the day, and I've heard it can be passed by wild birds droppings,
My 2 seem healthy and fine at the mo, i:/

While I live on the "other side of the pond" and have no personal experience with this, I would strongly suggest that you do not allow anyone in or near your chicken yard (they could possibly track this virus on their boots, etc.). I would also not add any birds to your existing flock. In essence, until this scare is over with your girls are in 'isolation' for the time being, not only for their safety but your peace of mind. I wish you all the very best!
frow.gif

While I live on the "other side of the pond" and have no personal experience with this, I would strongly suggest that you do not allow anyone in or near your chicken yard (they could possibly track this virus on their boots, etc.). I would also not add any birds to your existing flock. In essence, until this scare is over with your girls are in 'isolation' for the time being, not only for their safety but your peace of mind. I wish you all the very best!:frow

Thank you, no nothing will be moving and no one will be near my flock. Quarantine it will be.

Just got off the phone with the vet and apparently there isn't a vaccine ( or thy don't do one) which I'm surprised at but hey ho
She just said keep an eye on them, and stop the free range for a bit till scare is over
:barnie

Just got off the phone with the vet and apparently there isn't a vaccine ( or thy don't do one) which I'm surprised at but hey ho
She just said keep an eye on them, and stop the free range for a bit till scare is over
:barnie

I didn't think there would be one. Mine only free range in garden under supervision anyway they are polish so are quite happy in their runs so I should be ok. Will just ban anyone who is chicken/duck inclined :frow

Last edited:
oh dear, I dont think I can keep my birds from free-ranging as the coop/run they have is quite small and they peck each other badly if kept inside, even for just a day. There are also wild birds that fly down into the coop-run as it is as they are small enough to get through the chicken wire. The only bigger birds here are a couple of magpies and a blackbird that come into the garden. No one from a farm or the likes has access to my girls and I dont go to anything like that other than the farm supplies for their feed once a month but I will bleach my boots if I do go there from now on.

A bit worried to be honest but it isn't going to be fair on them to shut them in unless I make them house-hens (which they'd love but my human friends would kill me if I did).

I really hope you Yorkshire girls and your birds are going to be OK.

Back
Top Bottom