Bird gapeworms help?

I’m not sure the precise medication in America for gape worm. In Australia we would use a levimasole based product.

How is your chicken presenting? If she is sneezing or has nasal discharge it is less likely to be gapeworm.

How do you know your chicken has gapeworm? What symptoms are you seeing? In the US gapeworms are treated with fenbendazole 10% (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or the horse past, Panacur horse paste dewormer.) Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 consecutive days orally. Be sure to shake the liquid well as it settles out. It helps to use a 3 ml syringe without a needle from the feed store. That will treat most worms in chickens except for tapeworms, which are not as common.

I’m not sure the precise medication in America for gape worm. In Australia we would use a levimasole based product.

How is your chicken presenting? If she is sneezing or has nasal discharge it is less likely to be gapeworm.
No running nose I really worried and their like nothing around she like sorted sneezing and squea king and mouth open hard to breathe we giving her vetrx

It sounds like you may be dealing with a respiratory disease. Vet Rx is not much of a treatment, just some herbal oils. Some diseases are from a virus such as bronchitis. Others such as MG or coryza, may be treated with antibiotics, but the respiratory disease will always be present in the chicken‘s body for life.

It sounds like you may be dealing with a respiratory disease. Vet Rx is not much of a treatment, just some herbal oils. Some diseases are from a virus such as bronchitis. Others such as MG or coryza, may be treated with antibiotics, but the respiratory disease will always be present in the chicken‘s body for life.
I gave her eltrolikes and vetrx giving her some deworming tomorrow cause she has all symptoms of gapeworms

Your vet might possibly do a fecal float on some fresh poop to look for gapeworm eggs, but you would need to ask. Gapeworms cause severe gaping, and usually chickens are not able to eat or do anything else. If you lose a chicken from this, I would do a necropsy and open the trachea to look for red Y-shaped worms hooked together. Here is an article about tapeworms with a good picture of gapeworms in the windpipe (trachea:)
https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/gapeworm/

Your vet might possibly do a fecal float on some fresh poop to look for gapeworm eggs, but you would need to ask. Gapeworms cause severe gaping, and usually chickens are not able to eat or do anything else. If you lose a chicken from this, I would do a necropsy and open the trachea to look for red Y-shaped worms hooked together. Here is an article about tapeworms with a good picture of gapeworms in the windpipe (trachea:)
https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/gapeworm/
Yeah she can not eat or drink that much and gasping I getting some wormer right now so it should flush it out only got to use it once

Yeah she can not eat or drink that much and gasping I getting some wormer right now so it should flush it out only got to use it once
No, gapeworms have to be treated for 5 consecutive days with SafeGuard or fenbendazole. One day treatment is not going to take care of it. But if you are dealing with a respiratory disease, which is more common than gapeworms, and can cause similar symptoms, you may need antibiotics.

No, gapeworms have to be treated for 5 consecutive days with SafeGuard or fenbendazole. One day treatment is not going to take care of it. But if you are dealing with a respiratory disease, which is more common than gapeworms, and can cause similar symptoms, you may need antibiotics.
Oh it this hoarse one another person who raise’s chicken told me cause you know it for hoarses but also helps chicken

Back
Top Bottom