Bird missing for 5 days-now being attacked

Papagena

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
One of my hens who was already low in the pecking order went missing Sunday. I assumed she got picked up by a hawk, but she showed up last night relatively unscathed.

Now, some of the other hens are pecking her almost like they don't recognize her. She's got bloody wounds on her comb and her eyes. Can I treat with triple antibiotic? Or do I need to use an eye specific ointment?

(We are separating her like we would with a new bird until the other birds get used to her being back)

I have used plain neosporin or bacitracin ointment in the eyes before, but you can purchase Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn Eye Was or Eye Gel at many feed stores. Do you have her in a crate or cage inside the coop? That way, they can be together without her getting hurt. Most chickens I have separated for less than a week to break from being broody, are usually just pecked a few times and then left alone. I would look her over carefully for any hidden wounds, or parasites, such as lice or mites. Offer her some food and water close enough to reach if her eyes are swollen.

Back
Top Bottom