birdnetting and snakes!

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
I had read on several sites, that if you had a snake problem, place bird netting loosely around the outside of you coop/run and it would 'catch the snakes. WELL, it works! A few weeks I pulled out the bird netting I use on my blueberries and left it on the back of our big old truck... Got called away from the farm for a few hours, while I was gone the tornado blew thru and it blew away my netting.. Looked around for it but could find it.. Figured it was gone... Yesterday, we were working in the garden and our old Dachshunds started barking and being very angry about something ==which ususally means a snake.. Dh went to ck on them... Sure enough it was snakes---4 huge snakes. three black snakes and a copperhead--WRAPPED up in the netting. Two of the black snakes were released, the other was dead and the copperhead "died".. We had to throw the netting away--dh cut it up to release the snakes.. But when I get chicks, I will have netting around the brooder... Now I know it really works..

It is sold at Lowe's as 'bird-netting' --for fruit trees etc.. Maybe the holes are 1/2" sq.. Not sure. If you place it loosely the snakes try to go thru it and then out another hole.. they can't back out because of scales (so I have been told)... and get tangled in the netting.

Thanks for this solution. I went out yesterday and found a huge rat snake in my big hens run(under the coop). My big hens I am sure can take care of themselves but I sure was glad that I was late bringing my month old babies out to their day run. I have been so nervous all day today that I have checked on them almost every 30 mins. The rat snake was released to go on his way and terrorize some other critter. I have no problem with snakes, I like them, I just like my chickens more. I will pick up this bird netting asap. I have new baby silkies that wouldn't stand a chance with a rat snake.

zibby

It is the best thing you can ever get to help control snake issues around your pen. I have personally used it for years with great success.

It works, we put the netting over our blueberries on Saturday, we roll up any excess at the bottom and hold it down with bricks. Sunday morning there was a huge blacksnake stuck in the rolled up section.

I don't quite understand how to use the bird netting. Would someone please post photo? Do you stake it so it doesn't blow away, or just leave it in loose piles.? Thank you

You can do what little fork said, and have it rolled around the bottom. We also staple it to the posts about 1 ft up the run, and then let the rest fall loosely on the bottom. That way with strong winds and storms it wont go flying away.

thank you - of course if I bag any I will be to hysterical to go near them. A mouse caught on a sticky trap almost did me in last week.

Back
Top Bottom