Birds nesting in coop

Rorporp23

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Eastern Washington
A pair of starlings decided to raise their babies in my coop..could this be a problem? I know how messy bird nests can be, I don't want to expose my chicks to possible parasites. Thoughts?

Hello & welcome - your birds will almost certainly get lice and/or mites. If the starling babies haven't hatched, toss the nest, if they have, once they can fly toss the nest! Check your birds for lice every other day. I would be dusting the whole place with either an insecticidal dust for poultry or DE. The dusting will need to be repeated every 7-10 days to eliminate the bugs. Good luck,
thumbsup.gif

I would toss the nest whether or not they have hatched, including if it is full of baby starlings, kill them and toss the nest, if possible kill the parents, starlings are a horrid pest, they are rats with wings as far as I am concerned. They are listed as one of the 100 worst invasive species in the world.

Last edited:
Destroy the nest, any eggs, any baby starlings, and if you wait until after dark you might also get lucky enough to catch one of the parent birds napping. Starlings are an introduced species and are responsible for the near extinction of the Eastern Blue Bird.
I fully agree with bluecoondawg, never give a Starling an even break.

I would toss the nest whether or not they have hatched, including if it is full of baby starlings, kill them and toss the nest, of possible kill the parents, starlings are a horrid pest, they are rats with wings as far as I am concerned.  They are listed as one of the 100 worst invasive species in the world.

X100!!! Starlings and Sparrows are two of the worst invasives and should be shot or killed every chance you get!!!

David

Bluebirds, chickadees, nuthatches, swallows, purple martins, the starling is a cavity dweller and will out compete many native birds for nest areas, they are nasty, dirty birds. The only thing I like them for is target practice when they land far out in the yard or fields. We have had them build nests in the eaves of garages and sheds, they crap all over everything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom