Birth defect and/or injury

Leaches123

Songster
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
So this chick is 2 days old, I only noticed today that it was missing a toe, but also its all twisted and can’t walk on it properly, which is where I’m not sure if it was born like that or it got an injury somehow.. is there anything I can do to help it? It’s currently getting a bit of a callous on its ‘knee’ and can’t stand for long.. and the other chicks have started picking on it a bit..

Attachments

• C2C34542-6D03-4743-91F3-E1BAE40D7E31.jpeg
    C2C34542-6D03-4743-91F3-E1BAE40D7E31.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 0042142A-8AB6-437E-8164-0D9D4C67365B.jpeg
    0042142A-8AB6-437E-8164-0D9D4C67365B.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 7
I do not know about how to fix your problem except move that chick from the group. They will literally peck it to death knowing it is "weak". Hopefully someone will have specific info regarding the foot.

I do not know about how to fix your problem except move that chick from the group. They will literally peck it to death knowing it is "weak". Hopefully someone will have specific info regarding the foot.
Yes I‘m worried about that, it has one little friend who snuggles it, but I can’t seperate at night as I only have one heat lamp and it’s way to cold, thanks for your reply:)

So this chick is 2 days old, I only noticed today that it was missing a toe, but also its all twisted and can’t walk on it properly, which is where I’m not sure if it was born like that or it got an injury somehow.. is there anything I can do to help it? It’s currently getting a bit of a callous on its ‘knee’ and can’t stand for long.. and the other chicks have started picking on it a bit..
Genetic defects/birth defects are quite common in chickens and usually these chicks do not survive the first few days as these in the majority of cases suffer from inner malformations too.

Genetic defects/birth defects are quite common in chickens and usually these chicks do not survive the first few days as these in the majority of cases suffer from inner malformations too.
These chicks/eggs are the first lot we’ve got (from a friend) that have had so many issues, it’s 😔 sad, I hope this one will be okay but I think it might have other issues.

These chicks/eggs are the first lot we’ve got (from a friend) that have had so many issues, it’s 😔 sad, I hope this one will be okay but I think it might have other issues.
If your friends parent chickens already show so many issues, this might be due to an ongoing inbreeding problem.
I would cull this poor thing to not prolong the suffering as it will get much worse. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to do.

If your friends parent chickens already show so many issues, this might be due to an ongoing inbreeding problem.
I would cull this poor thing to not prolong the suffering as it will get much worse. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to do.
I’m not sure about the parents, but we lost 4 in shell to different things, I agree maybe a bit too much inbreeding is happening... yes:( it’s already hard decision!

Back
Top Bottom