Bit off more than I can chew?

EnnisLakeFarm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 21, 2011
So this year I decided to do meat chickens. I went ahead and ordered 100.
My issue is I keep reading that they have to chill for a couple of days in the fridge before using or freezing. How in the world is this done? I can't fit 100 chickens in my refrigerators. Granted, they aren't all for my house but that's a lot.

My issue is I keep reading that they have to chill for a couple of days in the fridge before using or freezing. How in the world is this done? I can't fit 100 chickens in my refrigerators. Granted, they aren't all for my house but that's a lot.
Butcher enough to fill it, in 3 days do it again, and again, and again.

How in the world could you process 100 birds in a day?! :lol:

Well, I'm a housewife and do all my own processing so 3 or so is my max per day. But with help have done 10 in one day...

Sending to their intended households immediately is one way to spread the chilling space.

Most folks I know who do many birds at once also use ice chests with ice water... one guy adds kosher salt to his and brines at the same time.

Some folks send their birds to a processor and get them back already chilled or even frozen.

Keep in mind... cooling them down before shoving a whole bunch of warm bodies that will warm the entire fridge is important.

Maybe next year... plan for 100 birds, but order and process in batches. I get all at once is over and done though!

Some locations have "cold storage".. maybe you can rent one.

I really, really... want a walk in fridge and freezer like restaurants have... might be more efficient than the two side by sides and the 3rd deep freezer I currently have plugged in! Maybe after I get a whole house generator. :fl

I don't know about the chilling, I've done meatbirds before though. Never killed them myself. Are you going to sell them?

Back
Top Bottom