Biting behavior

I handle my birds after dark for examination or treatment.
Most chickens instinctavly dont like to be handled.
I have had very friendly hens from time to time and enjoyed picking them up and holding them, but i dont force myself on the standofish ones who would rather not be held.
They are chickens... i let them be chickens..... if i want a lap animal i'll go get a kitten.
The only chickens ever to get an attitude adjustment from me, were roosters who attenpted to flog or spur myself or my daughter.

So, I've given it over a week, and handle her every morning. I carry her around for awhile, talk to her, pat her on the back, keeping my hand out of the way. She's quick and will bite fast. Sometimes, I am faster and can move out of the way. I have tried pecking her on the head, and holding her down two different times, when she swiped at me in the coop. It is still happening. It hasn't made much of a difference. She is a bit better, but not by much. I've made sure I am out there daily, and handling her, and others. She's a nervous ninny. I must admit, I am surprised at how stubborn she is! I have not had this issue with any of the others! One good head peck or holding down, and the behavior never repeats itself. Not with this one. When she was a chick, she did bite me then. I corrected her, and it wasn't there until recently. She is also not laying. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. So....keep working with her or cull?? That is the question......

I handle my birds after dark for examination or treatment.
Most chickens instinctavly dont like to be handled.
I have had very friendly hens from time to time and enjoyed picking them up and holding them, but i dont force myself on the standofish ones who would rather not be held.
They are chickens... i let them be chickens..... if i want a lap animal i'll go get a kitten.
The only chickens ever to get an attitude adjustment from me, were roosters who attenpted to flog or spur myself or my daughter.
I want to be able to handle them for worming and health issues. It is that simple. I have treated bumble foot in a few several years back and being able to handle them easily helped with the treatment. I have a puppy to cuddle! :)

So....keep working with her or cull?? That is the question......
Up to you.
If she's disrupting the harmony of chickeneering beyond your tolerance, get rid of her.
Have culled several 'trouble makers' (not for aggression tho) from my flock.
Hard decision, but has always been worth it.
@Mrs. K always says 'solve for the harmony of the flock'...that includes the keeper.
Some birds just don't fit in.

I have 1 hen thats pretty unfriendly towards me, i call her miss grumpy. If i try to pet her or other hens near her she will start growling and try to attack me. So, i dont try to pet her. I have tried to correct her behavior but they never learn, i dont think they associate punishment with their bad behavior. So i gave up trying to "fix" her.

Back
Top Bottom