Biting Quail?

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I have been noticing a trend lately on my quail lol, my 3+ week old quail have began thinking they are pitbulls lol, every time I walk by they jump at me and when I put my hand in their pen they all bite me, they will even hang on. Doesnt hurt, kinda funny really lol I have noticed the other babies that I have that are half their age already starting this behavior, do they just love human flesh or what? lol

It's cute now but when they get big and im in a hurry trying to get them food and water it might end up with a few of them being quail soup lol

gig.gif

Well the only time mine try to bite is if they are hungry.

I do have one female who thinks she's tough stuff, fluffs and puffs at me and chatters like an angry chipmunk.
lau.gif

I have two females that do that. One is just very assertive and she knows I mean food is around, so she just wants to be first in line. Sometimes my fingers are in the way of getting to the food dish. The other one must think my fingers are tasty. She'll peck and try to take chunks out of my fingers. I would have to watch her while I was feeding them because it hurt. She stopped for while, and I actually missed it! The past couple of days she's been coming over and eying my fingers again, and I've actually offered them and she's tried to take chunks of me.
lol.png

If I wear my rings, they'll typically catch the eye of one of the hens and they'll come over to peck on them.

They are funny when they try to act all big and tough!

A 6 month old butler Bob can draw blood! Several of mine have no reservations about take'n a big hunk out of your finger. Makes me want to over react everytime... I have a few cots that peck, but never had one break the skin... They just puff up and get froggy... Good luck...

Males especially can become aggressive. Although I have been attacked by a female defending some eggs. I have one male bob that will fly up at my face when I enter the aviary. He will attack my feet and chase me around. He thinks he is "king of the castle" in there. I love to grab him and stuff him down my jacket while I make my rounds in the aviary, all awhile he is screams at me inside my coat.
lol.png
But the minute I let him out, he is back at attacking me again. It is just their ways. Crazy bobs.
smile.png

kinda same there with my cots, i got one female that EVERYTIME i walk up, she puffs up and comes at me...granted i just push her away like nothing, its still funny to see.

Quote:
PERSISTANT LIL FART ISNT HE?
smile.png

I WOULDNT RECOMEND THIS WITH THE BUTLERS.... THEY'RE LIABLE TO CHEW THRU

Yes, you remember Simon?! He is going to be first on the chopping block come this spring when I hopefully send most of these birds to freezer camp and start a new project. Thinking pheasants. So this little "fart" has got to go!

Back
Top Bottom