Bitter-Sweet day...10 Big chicks went home today...

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
Well, all our extra boys and a couple gals are gone off to their new home tonight.
sad.png
We are down from 27 to a more managable 17 (our 4 boys and 13 gals). One more boy and another 4 of those girls are for sale, to make some room for the little chickies in the brooder now.
roll.png

I can tell you, I'm sorta sad. Giving them up was harder to do than I though. Especially since I know the family is only able to keep 2 of the boys, and they arent sure which 2 yet. The other boys will go into their freezer.
sad.png

I also sold 4 of the RIRs to our neighbor who has chickens (so he knows his stuff) because the ones that come into the feed store arent nearly as nice as the hatchery ones I got. He complimented my chickens!
big_smile.png

So, I am down by 14 as of tonight, with 5 more to go this week. Its sad to see them move on, but I know the girls will have full lives ahead of them and be well cared for. (Plus, he paid me $9 for EACH of them so I just made back what I would have spent on them (this was our "Free" hatchery order)! lol)

So after Tuesday, we'll be down to just our fave 9 Ameraucana gals, and the 3 roos we cant bare to part with: ChickenDuck, Big Red, and Pretty Boy. Pretty Boy is going to go in the breeder pen with the other black and white pullet when they are old enough, and ChickenDuck and Big Red are pals, so they can run the yard with the gals.

We are keeping the 7 California whites for white eggs. Now we just have to figure out who we are keeping out of the brown eggers. I know for certain we are keeping the 2 Barred Rocks, and the 2 Marans, and probably the 2 Cinnamon Queens. After that we arent sure yet. Maybe 2 RIRs, and 2 Golden Comets to keep it even...lol
tongue.png

So then we'd have 5 RIRs and 3 Golden Comets to sell. And then that still leaves the 1 lonely Buff Orp. Dont know yet what to do with her....hmmmmm

Anyhow, I know I can part with the 5 RIRs and 3 Golden Comets if anyone wants them!
big_smile.png

Letting go is always hard to do, and you will have to do it all over again after the chickies in the brooder grow up.

We always want our birds to go to someone we hope will care for them and love them as much as we do, but sometimes it just isn't possible. We can't keep them all.
sad.png

AWW, 4H kids and mom
hugs.gif

Hang in there and enjoy the ones you are keeping!
jumpy.gif

I keep thinking of the Paul Anka song..."Breaking up is hard to do...."
sad.png

I cried the first time I gave away some mixed-breed chicks
hit.gif

The thing that cheered me up is that those chicks spread the chicken-addiction to someone else.
Stephanie

yuckyuck.gif

That's actually a good way to think of it!

How can ANYONE get chickens and not fall in love with the dears?
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom