Black Ameraucana with hurt leg

Snoopy11

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
Indiana
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Yesterday, I noticed that my BA chicken was limping on her left leg. I picked her up, and her leg/foot seemed cold. So, I put her in the coop with heat lamp to see if that would make a difference.

Today, when I went out to visit her and the flock, she would not even put weight on her leg. So, I moved her into the garage, making her a spot with hay, food, and water. She ate and drank, and is now resting quietly.

I do not see any injury whatsoever on her foot, I do not feel any breaks in the bone, but she will not put her weight on the leg and limps with what few steps she takes.

I would appreciate any advice that you guys can give!

Regards,

Don (and Willamena --the chicken's name)...

I think what you've done is good. Keeping her eating and drinking is most important. Resting and limited exercise is probably a good plan for a few days.

Good luck to her!

@Snoopy11 how is your chicken doing today? Can she stand or walk? How old is she? Is there any swelling, green bruising, or redness on the leg or foot? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do you think that she could have injured the leg? Do you have a rooster?

@Snoopy11 how is your chicken doing today? Can she stand or walk? How old is she? Is there any swelling, green bruising, or redness on the leg or foot? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do you think that she could have injured the leg? Do you have a rooster?
We do have a rooster, who has successfully mated with her various times. I do not see bruising on her leg or foot, no injuries that I see.

She is still limping... seems to be putting her weight on the leg more. She can stand, just doesn't want to put her weight on that leg. She has not been vaccinated for Mareks disease.

Don

Back
Top Bottom