black astralorp roo?

AmyLittle

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2015
Ohio
My black astralorp pullets are almost 5 weeks old and I'm afraid this one is a roo. Its the only one with a comb like this.

Thanks that what I thought but was hoping I was wrong lol. I guess I will be OK as long as he's the only one.

Thanks that what I thought but was hoping I was wrong lol. I guess I will be OK as long as he's the only one.

How many pullets do you have to go with him? The reason I'm asking is because the recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters as they mature will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and one rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in this regard. Since Australorps are generally one of the calmer and gentler breeds, you might get by with only 7-8 pullets, but I wouldn't push it below that.

I have 12 chicks counting him. So if he is the only roo he will have 11 hens. All of them were suppose to be pullets. I bought 6 black asyralorps then 3 days later bought 2 each of rir barred rocks and isa browns. Hopefully the rest are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom