Black Australorp Rooster suddenly turned aggressive

I've only had one rooster that never tested me as he went into his teens. All others would at least test me out and it's during those few months when a cockerel hits sexual maturity that no kids are allowed in the pen. I train them and those that don't calm down after that surge of teenager hormones get the axe. But it's very common for dominance display in the fall of first year and it takes a calm assured demeanor around them. Children just don't make young males who are "protecting" there girls feel safe and I don't let them near them during that period. Too risky.

And I experience the opposite. The chickens are a hobby so any rooster/cockerel that so much as charges at me are immediately culled.

I often test by picking them up- if they bite, they are usually culled. The ones that bite really hard or repeatedly are always culled, period.

Result? Roosters even little kids can chase catch and carry around.....

Speckledhen ain't kidding and it is the best thing in the world to have a rooster that does all his duties, minus any kicking or biting.

And- fertility is great, for those who think fertility correlates with aggression. Nah....

And I experience the opposite. The chickens are a hobby so any rooster/cockerel that so much as charges at me are immediately culled.

I often test by picking them up- if they bite, they are usually culled. The ones that bite really hard or repeatedly are always culled, period.

Result? Roosters even little kids can chase catch and carry around.....

Speckledhen ain't kidding and it is the best thing in the world to have a rooster that does all his duties, minus any kicking or biting.

And- fertility is great, for those who think fertility correlates with aggression. Nah....
You betcha! Isaac is still fertile at over 6 years old, in spite of losing two toe ends to frostbite due to decreased circulation caused by his severe arthritis. He still manages to breed his hens though he must keep one foot on the ground and he waits for one of us to pick him up at roost time to put him inside so he doesn't have to go up that steep ramp with the pain he's in. He's been a blessing as have his sons and grandsons. No one needs to put up with a nasty rooster, Kev's absolutely right about that! Just not worth it.

I bought 4 chicks (3 pullets and a baby roo) at 1 wk old. I have only witnessed 1 time where he was aggressive and stuck his hackle feathers out at me. I picked him up until his feathers went back down and talked to him. This happened when he was 3 months old and he's now 4 months old and no signs of aggression toward me since. He is very curious.. once he pecked my muck boot, but it was obvious that he was figuring out my boot. I have never owned a rooster of this breed. I have another BO rooster that is HUGE and stands above my knees at 7 months old and they roost together and have never had a problem, but they are both young so I don't know. I am hopeful of the best.

Hi
I have a beautiful Australorp Roo, Able, who is approximately 10 months old. He has been lovely from day one however he has recently taken a dislike to my 5 year old granddaughter, he is fine with the 3 year old. They have been around him from day one but not on a daily basis.
He is a quiet chap and seems to do his job very well, ‘courts’ the ladies well and makes all the right noises when he has food for them etc. He keeps a watchful eye on everything and the only time he was aggressive was when we had a young Roo, they had one scrap and then got along well. The young Roo - speckled Sussex did start attacking me every time I went in their field so he was culled.
Able is gorgeous and I want to give him the best chance but he is big so could be dangerous to my sweet little granddaughter and he is scary for her!
Do I stand a chance of getting him to accept her? Or should I accept defeat as the damage he could do means I can’t risk he actually gets to her.
I plan to get him to feed out of her hand, me to pick him up until he settles if he gets stroppy, front him out, lay him on floor etc but I don’t think bashing him with a stick etc as I have read will work as they fight back if they feel a scrap coming on and I don’t want to actually beat him. Doesn’t sit right and Not a great example of animal care in front of kids!
All advice gratefully received 😬

@jaywin - not a candidate for being around kids. He needs to go. Kids are at perfect height to get facial injuries (including the eyes) from a rooster. Not to mention a potential lifelong fear or dislike of chickens due to an attack when a young kid.

if you want a docile rooster...you can’t get a guarantee at all. An individual can be an anomaly. However, I consistently see mention that Salmon Faverolle males and Buff Orpington males tend towards more even keeled and docile than most roosters.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom