Black Australorp s/he at 17 weeks

I think she looks like a hen. I've had a couple pullets that had super long tail feathers and everyone would tell me they're boys, but they weren't! =P

She looks like a pullet to me.

Mine have gotten to the point that they all run over to me and squat as soon as I enter the coop, before I even touch them. LOL, I pet them a lot.

I always pet my pullets on the back and out of 10 at point of laying and 2 that are laying only one squats when I rub her back...so I dont believe that method is 100% reliable
idunno.gif

well it's not a fool proof test, just another clue to her gender. :)

Thanks all. My chickens went from sitting on my shoulders inside to running away now that they are outside, once I retrain them to accept petting I will try that.

Based off of her rounded saddle feathers, and thin legs I'm going to say it's a GIRL. And with how red her comb and wattles are, I imagine she'll make an egg for you very soon!

If the age is correct looks like a girl to me, especially since the comb and wattles just poked out at 14 weeks. Granted, I have 16 week old australorp females with WAY less comb than that, but you SHOULD have saddle feathers by 16-17 weeks... I think it's a POL pullet.

Let us know what happens!

Last edited:
No eggs yet. No crowing yet.
Pictures taken 11 AUG 2012, that would make the chickens all 18 weeks 2 days.

standing next to her* hen friends

The golf balls are in place.

Back
Top Bottom