Black Australorp source recomendations

puddleglumWI

Chirping
Feb 3, 2023
Eastern WI - almost to the Lake
Hello all,

I have been researching a lot of different breeds for a dual purpose flock, about 8 hens and a rooster, that I want to establish this spring. After looking hard at Delawares and New Hampshires, I ultimately think a breed that is geared more towards laying will be a better fit for me. Black Australorps seem like a really good option, as they can be excelent layers and extra roosters could be passable for meat. Also, when I was a kid, we had Australorps and I have fond memories of them poking around the yard.

Anyone know of a good breeder that raises Black Australorps? Close to S.E. Wisconsin would be ideal, but I can drive a few hours if needed, or a good breeder that ships would be an option as well.

Anyone have an experience with ordering Australorps from a hatchery they can share?

Thank you
-pg

A little off topic, but have you considered New Hampshires from Freedom Ranger hatchery? They lay more eggs and have more meat than those from other hatcheries, so you might consider this strain of NH. Several folks on here had good things to say about them.

Also they may have black australorps.

A little off topic, but have you considered New Hampshires from Freedom Ranger hatchery? They lay more eggs and have more meat than those from other hatcheries, so you might consider this strain of NH. Several folks on here had good things to say about them.

Also they may have black australorps.
I did look at them, and they are a close second or third to Australorps. The Delawares from Deer Run Farm also are tempting. I am more interested in egg production, so the Australorps seem a better fit.

I did look at them, and they are a close second or third to Australorps. The Delawares from Deer Run Farm also are tempting. I am more interested in egg production, so the Australorps seem a better fit.
Just for the record, my Delaware was an excellent layer. If that helps. Totally understand wanting the Australorps though. I loved mine. I will say though both my Delaware and Australorps ate a ton hah if that matters at all to you.

I ordered 10 black Australorp chicks through tractor supply website and received 12. It was hoover hatchery chicks. They hatched on Jan 4 and now they are thriving. They free range all day and eat very little of the corn and sunflower seeds I offer every afternoon. I sold my neighbor half of the Australorp flock when they were a week old. Mine free-range, his birds stay in cage on Purina feed. Mine look like giants compared to his. I traded one of my roosters for one of his hens the other day. I'll take pics tomorrow to show the size and development difference. It's crazy. I took them off of chick starter dumor at 5 weeks. They were outside in coop with no lamp at 1 month. I would recommend hoover black Australorp.

Back
Top Bottom