Black Bears...should I be worried?

farmlifedreamin

In the Brooder
I had chickens for many years when I lived in upstate NY. Now, I live in the mountains and we have frequent summer time visitors...BLACK BEARS! Although they come into my yard, just about every night, I personally haven't had any problems with them. They don't bother my house or my animals and once the dog sees them and starts barking, they take off. But, I would like to get some chickens again and I'm not too sure if the bears are going to go after them. I have read that they will try to go after the chicken feed but if I bring it in every night, will I have a problem with them going after the chickens or their eggs?
So, question is:
Has anyone had any personal experiences with black bears? Tips...advice...?
Thanks in advance

We have black bears around here but they are rare at my elevation. I've never known black bears to kill for food, while I'm sure there are exceptions, I look forward to reading some first hand information on here, good post!

Hi there. I live in upstate NY in the adirondacks. We get black bear in our yard off and on and they have never bothered my chickens. They attack the bird feeder and apple trees but not the chickens. Doesn't mean they wouldn't, but so far they're ok. .

hu.gif
fl.gif

Thank you! The only thing I have heard of, is them trying to get to the chicken feed and destroying the coop in the process. Hopefully, I can eliminate that by just making sure the food is in at night...like I do with the bird feeders.

We have black bears on a regular basis (weekly). They have never bothered the chickens, but like to raid my sunflower seed feeders. But a friend who lives 30 min from me had a black bear rip open his coop and kill some chickens. As a general rule, they would prefer the chicken feed to killing the chickens. Here are some of my pics. The first two are from last week.

WOW!!! Thats so awesome...the pictures, lol
Like Ive said before, that's pretty much what I have heard (about the food) but I'm just so afraid of a trial and error, you know? I would hate to get chickens just to doom them to a horrible death...it would break my heart!
I really appreciate your thoughts and experiences...and your friends! Thank you

Welcome! Electric fencing will be your best bet in this situation, and never having feed outside. Chickens are tasty treats for MANY predators, although bears are potentially the ones who can demolish buildings. Mary

Welcome! Electric fencing will be your best bet in this situation, and never having feed outside. Chickens are tasty treats for MANY predators, although bears are potentially the ones who can demolish buildings. Mary

I was thinking about the electric fencing but then read that the bear's hair is so dense, that most of the time, they get half way through the fence then get shocked and end up taking the whole thing with them when they take off. Ugh...decisions, decisions! lol

Back
Top Bottom