Black chicken... Australorp?

SLOChick

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
IMG_20201024_085357.jpg

Trying to figure out if this chicken is an Australorp. I've read that they're fairly early layers. She's 6 months old, and not an egg yet. The rest of my flock (EE, RIR, OE) have been laying for a month already.

View attachment 2385372
Trying to figure out if this chicken is an Australorp. I've read that they're fairly early layers. She's 6 months old, and not an egg yet. The rest of my flock (EE, RIR, OE) have been laying for a month already.
Looks like an Australorp..

Chickens don't read what the books say about them and nature don't care what we think the norm is.

She's got a few tail feather missing.. she could be having a mini molt. Her comb is red.. so she's close, hormone wise.

No matter how many times I read Leghorn will lay early.. mine was 20+ weeks..

Genetics vary.. by breed, line, AND individual.

I might also wonder if her egg was being mistaken for someone else's or vice versa. :)

Looks like an Australorp..

Chickens don't read what the books say about them and nature don't care what we think the norm is.

She's got a few tail feather missing.. she could be having a mini molt. Her comb is red.. so she's close, hormone wise.

No matter how many times I read Leghorn will lay early.. mine was 20+ weeks..

Genetics vary.. by breed, line, AND individual.

I might also wonder if her egg was being mistaken for someone else's or vice versa. :)

I'm keeping track of each chicken and I've seen which chickens lay which eggs ( The color genetics of each breed helps a lot!) She's definitely not laying yet, nor is my buff orpington. And I've heard they're great layers! I'm going to chalk it up to It's 2020...

Thanks, I looked at the bottom of her feet and they're white, so agreed. I read another thread that that's one of the telltale. My Buff Orpington seems to be on the same schedule 😝

As others have said, yes it’s an Australorp. Our Australorp pullets typically start laying at 22-24 weeks. Based on the red color of her comb and wattles, she is close to laying.

Back
Top Bottom