Black Copper Maran coloring

Outside of cuckoo marans, are there that many marans varieties that are not typically feather footed? The Marans Club of America has a bit of info regarding the history of cuckoo marans and the leg/foot feathering (standard calls for feathering):

http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/cuckoo-marans.html

Excerpt about cuckoo marans:

"The cuckoo Marans was the only variety in the U.S.until the last few years....The Hopkins Marans were feather shanked and the Fitch Marans were clean shanked so the off spring were both clean and feather shanked birds."

Which makes it sound like this is only a cuckoo marans issue.
It completely depends on which standard you are going by. There are lots. Just saying, it not 'a bad bird' if it doesn't have feathering, because the American variety doesn't have them. There are breeders that specifically breed for non feathered legs. Also, there are many Marans varieties that have feathered, and non feathered, legs. It goes for all colors.

I just got Maran eggs off eBay. I seen splash, blue, copper, and white? Maran hatching eggs for sale. Bought eggs from a 4h blue ribbon winner, hoping for a beautiful flock!
IMG_20180330_131159362.jpg

It completely depends on which standard you are going by. There are lots. Just saying, it not 'a bad bird' if it doesn't have feathering, because the American variety doesn't have them. There are breeders that specifically breed for non feathered legs. Also, there are many Marans varieties that have feathered, and non feathered, legs. It goes for all colors.
I probably should be asking this on the Marans SOP thread, but it seems to me that the standard French feathered legs for Black Copper Marans is far more common here than the American 'featherless' standard. When I see BCM eggs offered for sale from such and such 'line' they all seem to espouse the feathered legs. I have not seen a breeder (not that I have done extensive research but I hatch these guys a lot) who calls their line an American line. Are there breeders? There must be! I would love to know.

I gave two beautiful French copper maran show roosters to the bird guy north of here when my step daughter was very ill. They had beautiful feathered legs and he said they look for that when you show them. So I looked for that in the pics and found a winner! Hoping for feathered legs on my chicks.

Back
Top Bottom