Black Copper Maran coloring

Hello everyone, I see that there are several different forums regarding black copper marans with coloring questions and genetics. However, I can not find the answer that I’m looking for. I just hatched a batch of eggs that I bought from a gal in Texas. I had 12 out of 16 eggs hatch into beautiful little chicks. They were sold as greenfire French black copper marans. Every chick has feathered legs. My question is regarding just one of them. It hatched as a solid yellow with some silver highlights. I asked the seller about it. She told me that it is known as a snowbird and that sometimes they happen during the winter. I tried to search other forums but since we have a member with the name “snowbird” my search was unsuccessful. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this happen during a hatch and if it will mature as a white bird. Thank you in advance. Here are a couple pictures of what the little critters look like.
49D5E423-4D1B-403E-A1AB-1E472E81BCAB.jpeg

☝️
This one has a very distinct comb at a day old and I’m thinking it might be a little cockerel.
94207DE3-F422-4F52-9FAB-154808A5E1C7.jpeg

☝️
This is the one in question.
5C190598-D99C-40B9-94E4-07352CAC2CB7.jpeg

Here’s another that I think may be a little pullet.
1BF3DB5E-B9AC-40EA-91F4-85D1C95F4C43.jpeg

This is so weird, this is the second BCM chick that i have come across in the last few days that is like this. I believe it has a white recessive gene. Quite rare I think. I have the other thread, titled 'There here' marked to remember to message the sender to see how the feathering comes in. You can search it and see his little one. Would love to know about yours too. Maybe the whole 'snow bird' thing is actually a thing. Crazy that they seem to be popping up now!

This is so weird, this is the second BCM chick that i have come across in the last few days that is like this. I believe it has a white recessive gene. Quite rare I think. I have the other thread, titled 'There here' marked to remember to message the sender to see how the feathering comes in. You can search it and see his little one. Would love to know about yours too. Maybe the whole 'snow bird' thing is actually a thing. Crazy that they seem to be popping up now!
Hello Oregonkat,
Thank you for the response. I found that thread and added to it. It’ll be interesting to see how often these little yellow chicks happen with bcms.

Back
Top Bottom