Black EE: Red comb=roo for sure? (Also, question about crested birds.)

I'll try to get a full body picture of them tomorrow. It's so cold and nasty out, hard to take pictures...especially with a busy chicken loving toddler in tow! She wants to hold, hug, and kiss the birds while I take pictures of them.

Bad news for the black EE. Today I saw a new tail feather glimmering beautiful dark green in the light.
hit.gif
That shiny of a feather would never show up on a hen's rear end. Do you think Ideal might credit me a couple chicks if I call them and tell them out of my six EE pullets, two are roosters?

I think the black EE is a roo, just judging by the shape of the tail and the red comb. Yes, Ideal should give you a credit if you ordered pullets.

My polish, though I never had that color variety, cockerels didn't ever have a round, poufy crest like that. Those crests on my birds would have meant pullet all the way. My cockerels' crests came in spiky from the start.

I caught the black EE trying to mount one of the older pullets over and over. He was also doing this ridiculous dance. I guess he's...erm...locked and loaded and ready to go...

What age should I expect an EE to crow or lay eggs?

My WCB polish has huge wobblers on her chin!
When I had a Polish roo, his crest feathers were all pointed from the start and he looked SO much more awkward and pokey than the girls. don't give up hope yet!!

Both of your polish look like pullets to me because of their poofs. If you can see spikes coming thru their poof, they may be male. Part the feathers with your fingers and see.
The EE looks like a roo because he looks to have 3 rows on his comb. Females have one row. So far that has been 100% for me.

I think maybe their spikes just haven't fully come in yet. The WC black Polish now has a glossy black tail feather that shines green in the light, I just noticed it today. My black EE rooster has those same shiny feathers now too!

EE is tough, It does have a red comb. and is a fair size. however it has a pullets coloring. and feathers.. give it a little while longer. the first polish i see a hen. light one? Im kind of thinking a rooster. the other i have no idea. Just a tip

-Just because they're big. and the comb is red/they're developing wattles doesn't mean they are a rooster. red in the face/comb/wattles/earlobes resembles healthyness besides the breeds with dark faces (sumatras. etc since you want them to be dark. and some breeds faces are just always pale/dark) Thats also why red combs/wattles is usually related to them getting ready to lay, it means their healthy. if a hens unhealthy-no eggs

-Daniel

for size.. It may just be a big hen. I have a american game hen that came out as tall and weight wise as her brothers were.

But I thought (and it seems to be the opinion of just about everyone here) that a pullets comb will NEVER redden this early! That the reddening at 9-10 weeks is impossible on a hen and always signifies a rooster. You are the first person to say it differently. Am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom