Black eyed peas for feeding ducks?

armourereric

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
OK, so I have been feeding my ducks a combination of alfalfa and durham wheat seeds for the last 2 years. My feed supply place has changed front office staff to a crew that I cannot stand dealing with and there is no other place nearby. I have a place that is 50 miles more away that will deliver, but only carries black eyed peas. How will this work for a substitute?

OK, so I have been feeding my ducks a combination of alfalfa and durham wheat seeds for the last 2 years. My feed supply place has changed front office staff to a crew that I cannot stand dealing with and there is no other place nearby. I have a place that is 50 miles more away that will deliver, but only carries black eyed peas. How will this work for a substitute?
@armourereric Welcome to BYC

I haven't been able to find much on it but I did find this https://articles.extension.org/pages/67361/legumes-in-poultry-feed#.VkkoUb_qMf8

I don't think this would be a complete food source though I think I'd have to find other things to make it complete. I do use split peas in my flocks fermented feed.

Black eyed peas are actually beans

Beans- ?
Green beans, Lima Beans, black beans, Pinto beans, etc. They MUST be cooked and soft (preferably overcooked.) Uncooked beans contain a poison called hemaglutin toxic to birds. Beans have a good amount of protein but also have a higher amount of carbs, so beans should be a limited treat.

Back
Top Bottom