Black Giant roo over RIR just wondering

The coloring is amazing enough that I would be tempted to breed him just to stabilize the color. The red is deep enough that my sister thought he was bleeding. It's coming in on his wings and hackles, but not the saddle feathers yet.

Attachments

• 20231128_154925.jpg
    20231128_154925.jpg
    995.4 KB · Views: 12
The coloring is amazing enough that I would be tempted to breed him just to stabilize the color. The red is deep enough that my sister thought he was bleeding. It's coming in on his wings and hackles, but not the saddle feathers yet.
He is about 3 months now? I can’t get over how gorgeous he is.
Has he molted? I have a couple pullets that age and they are molting and their colors are changing so much.
I would love it if you would continue to post his pictures as he grows!
Does he have a name?

Hei Hei Jr. And yes, about 12 weeks. I don't think he's molted yet, but I haven't been paying attention.

He's going to be our red and green Christmas bird. :)
I don’t recall people say moulting for chicks who are changing fluff into feathers.
First moult for hens is normally in autumn after they have been laying for a year or so /at least after first laying season. Roosters moult about the same time. Hope I am right about this, I didn’t check the facts.

I don’t recall people say moulting for chicks who are changing fluff into feathers.
Chicks definitely change one set of feathers for another set while they are growing. This happens several times before they reach adulthood.

I have seen the term "molting" (or "moulting") used for this, and I do not think I have seen any other terms used.

So I would say that yes, chicks do "molt" several times as they are growing.

First moult for hens is normally in autumn after they have been laying for a year or so /at least after first laying season. Roosters moult about the same time. Hope I am right about this, I didn’t check the facts.
For adult chickens, I would agree with that. Hens will sometimes do partial molts at other times (like after being broody), but I do not think I have heard of roosters molting at other times.

I didn’t know what else to call it. They are fully feathered, and losing a bunch of them. What is coming in on one breed is a completely different color. Sorry for misspelling it. As Hervé Villechaize used to say,
The brain boss, the brain!

Back
Top Bottom