Black Jersey Giant rooster crowing?

Chickenlover20

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012

They re about -5 months old now. its really hard to take a picture of them today. so i found this picture on my laptop.
I have 15 pullets and 1 cockerel. and i wondering when will the rooster start crowing?

Last edited:
Roosters will really start crowing whenever they very well feel like it. I've heard of them starting as early as 5days and my d'uccle took almost 25 weeks. There is really no way to say when, but I would assume any day now. He might figure it out sooner if you have other roosters crowing, but then again, I had 8 crowing roosters when my d'uccle was figuring it out.

JG are also late bloomers, but I'm not sure how this applies to roos, since I've only owned hens.

Just keep listening for now. And great pic BTW.:D

My 8wk old JG started crowing today at 6am. Will he be doing this throughout the day or just early in the morning? Any ideas on why they crow? This is our first rooster let alone first batch of chicks :)
thanks
Nancy & Doug

Thank you everyone for helping, He just started crow!!
Here picture of him, what he look like right now.

He's so huge, and started attacking people to get the attentions.
If i inore him, he will kick me till turn around and look at him or he's hungry then he will kick me.
He's weird rooster. he doesnt care if i touch the hens.
Strange huh?

We have the same bird. He is friendly to the point he will eat his treat of mealy worms out of my hand. In the evening when we go out to close up the coop, he starts to make a clucking sound until we speak. Then he calms down seemingly he knows that is us outside the coop. He is protective of the hens, but shows no aggression toward us. When he sees us out in the morning with our dogs, he starts crowing to come out too. He is a very smart bird!

to update about this rooster.. He passed away one and half years ago. from fighting with the fox twice.

I have new 2 Giant roosters. they are 4 month old. and one fought fox few night ago. he won the battle. He saved my beautiful Australorp cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom