Black Minorcas

chiknwhisperer

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Lowell, IN
Does anyone have Black Minorcas?? I'm just wondering because I have two and one is a roo. They are both about 9 weeks old. He is crowing regularly now and has a real big comb and wattles. My little girl has itty bitty wattles and comb. Its just that they are small. Really small. All my other roos at that age were much bigger. then he is.

HPNX0890.jpg

HPNX0896.jpg

Did you get them from McMurray? I got some from them at the end of April, and they aren't "large" like catalog says they are. Mine are black as well. I spoke to a man at the county fair who has raised several of McMurray's medeterian breeds and said the Anacona layed more and larger eggs on less feed than the other Medeterian breed he had raised, including the Minorcas. Frankly, if thats true I'm disappointed. I think maybe McMurray's Minorcas don't meet the standard very well either that or they just grow slowly. I will say they mature sexually faster than my other roosters (SP rocks,Marans). Good luck with them!

I had minorcas from McMurray. My cockerel was getting large and beautiful by about 7 months, but he started attacking everyone. Every time he saw my 2yo niece, he went after her and knocked her to the ground. He went to chicken heaven.

I had a buff minorca from the same order, and she was a beautiful bird, but not very large. About the same size as my pearl white leghorns. I think she was a good layer, though not as good as my leghorns. We had to find a new home for our entire flock last year when we moved, and she was 2.5 yrs old. She still hadn't gotten bigger than the leghorn.

No, actually I got them from the local feed store. The label said black minorcas. And I have been looking that up and it says they are supposed to be big birds but these guys just won't grow it seems. As far as I can find, they are not bantams. And the bantams I have seen pictures of don't look like my minorcas at all.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom