Black Orpington/Light Sussex cross?

SadieSue

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Tacoma, WA
I'm at lockdown tomorrow for my first ever hatch. I have some BCM and Salmon Faverolles eggs from local breeders due to hatch on Friday. However, just at the time I was setting my eggs, my new light sussex was laying and when I picked her up, the previous owner said she had just been mated so I knew there was a possibility her eggs may be fertile. Just for fun I tossed a few of her eggs in there. Well, wouldn't you know it, those little buggers have been active and growing like crazy. I checked and found that she may have been with an exhibition black orpington before we picked her up. Second runner up possibility for chicky daddy would be Golden Cuckoo Marans. I'm just curious - does anyone have the offspring of either of those crosses? If so, do you have any photos? The Orpington/Sussex cross would be some big babies I know, but I was wondering what their coloring might look like. Or how about the Cuckoo Marans/Light Sussex cross? Just pondering during the loooooonnnnnggg wait til hatch day...
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Quote:
smile.png
just hope someone responds then!

Quote:
Oops - a little late getting back to this. So after my hatch on May 12th I posted photos and the breeder I had picked up my Light Sussex from determined that rather than an exhibition black orpington being the daddy, that it was her Golden Cuckoo Marans because one of the chicks, my sweet little girl "Juju" who was the first chick out, had feathered legs! Her brother however, does not. Although they resembled each other right after hatching, they are beginning to look a LOT different now.
They are two weeks and a few days old now, but here they are at one week. I'll post more photos later -

Our little pullet, Juju -
54793_juju_1.jpg

54793_juju_2.jpg

And her brother, who is much bigger than she is, and has a very pronounced comb!
54793_whiteys_baby_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom