black silkies

I do.. but all mine are just pet quality!! for bugging and watching..
sad.png

hopefully next year i will have some nice show quality birds from the new stock of hatching eggs I got from several breeders.. can't wait
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I think I've spent more time on my blacks over the years than any other color. I originally had a group from Bobbi Porto that were pretty nice on their own. They were totally clear black and threw clear babies. Ended up losing that old cockbird though and replacing him with one of his sons wasn't good enough. I had 1 old Stanford hen that was gorgeous on type but threw tons of miscolored cockerels. A few years ago I started adding in birds from Premier Silkies. Most of these babies out of these crosses are absolutely amazing. Need a little work on consistency..still a few wing issues popping up, trying to get comb size down, sometimes see 6th claws on chicks. I'm finally getting a decent percentage of clear jet black cockerels. I currently have 21 black hens and 1 black cock left on the older birds. From this year I saved back at least 4 awesome pullets and 3 cockerels. Few more over in the sale pens that are gorgeous but I just don't need any more.
Amy :eek:)
Here are some pics from the growout pens:
PICT2884.jpg

PICT2881.jpg

im002276.jpg

im002295.jpg

PICT2816.jpg

PICT2845.jpg

PICT2844.jpg

PICT2774.jpg

PICT0954.jpg

PICT0952.jpg

PICT0847.jpg

PICT0870.jpg

PICT0720.jpg

Amy- I took two black cockerels from you to the show as well as one pullet, but the older pullets I had were filled out more and were just more 'finished'. I took 4 black pullets, two blue pullets, two black cockerels, two buff cockerels, one white cockerel, one white SG cockerel and the only color I didn't get BV in was buff (RV) and splash (which I didn't bring any of). Your birds are very nice, and your blood in the Feb hatch birds helped solve a couple of 'problem areas' on the hens.

My birdies had a raw egg snack yesterday, so they aren't quite presentable, but here are some older pics!
31816_img_1273.jpg
31816_silkie_chick.jpg
31816_zizzy.jpg
31816_hilda.jpg
31816_img_1398.jpg
31816_img_1418.jpg

The partridge chicks came from the black pair, but they seem to be feathering in black. The lavender was a complete suprise! I am the cock's archnemesis, so he's going to live in Indiana in two weeks (not soon enough). Without a roo, I was going to make chocolates, crossing to a Serama, but I really don't have the space for a big project like that, unless someone commits to taking everything I can't keep. With the evidence of lavender genes, though, I think I'll stick to black!

Congrats!!!!! We have our big show coming up this weekend and another in 3 weeks. I'll be spending all week either down at the fairgrounds setting up or bathing my own birds....22 silkies and 7 faverolles going. These are all young birds (10 months or less). All my older ones are just hitting a serious molt so decided not to even chance entering any of them.

Oh, I completely understand! I had to call the show clerk and replace some older birds I was going to enter with younger birds. The only older bird I entered was one of my blue cocks. Normally I wouldn't take him, because he's a bit nasty, but his brother was molting and he looked decent. While bathing him he left some bruises (from biting), and while he was good for the 1st judge (he was tired) he bit and left marks on the second judge. Whoops.
However, he is an EXCELLENT breeder and has good type, nice color, comb, cushion is full and placed high on the back, good wings..... bad attitude. First one I've had that is aggressive. When he grabs your pantleg it's fine, but picking him up is an artform that requires controlling his head.

Also,.. black on black! There were a couple 'blueish black' pullets there. I think they were actually from blue on black breeding and had the 'dark lacing' so valued in solid feathered blues, but it makes blues look black with the silkies. There were some nice splashes from Bobbi Porto there... but the day was held by the blacks. VERY nice class of blacks.

Polish...those are probably about 6-8 months there. Not totally finished out for the show ring yet, but getting close.

Jen.... Just heading down to set up the show hall now. Have 12 faverolles bathed and drying. Still have about 20 more of the silkies left to go. Right now thanking my lucky stars that I didn't enter 50+ birds like last year. My brother is up in ND duck hunting all weekend so all his waterfowl got left at home.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom