Black snake hanging around chicken coop.

Thank you for all the replies that I have been given.
From what I am hearing it is a good idea to make the snake scares.

I do have a hen that is sitting on eggs due to hatch in a week. I feel that although
this snake is harmless that is it not so harmless when it comes to my chickens.

I don't mind snakes but this close to my coop is a problem for both me and my
chickens.

my girls free range in the back yard, so I cannot be sure that they will not get into
any of the snake repellents. I don't want to save a snake and end up sickening my girls.

i will try to move it one more time. but if it comes back I may need to find some humane ways
of dealing with it. It is rather persistent and knows where to find food.

thanks again everyone.

The snake will eat your eggs and your chicks too. We had a large one in our egg box with 6 eggs in it's belly. We caught it and cut it's head off with an ax....never felt a thing. We live way out in the country and it did nothing to our black snake population, you may feel differently.

The snake will eat your eggs and your chicks too. We had a large one in our egg box with 6 eggs in it's belly. We caught it and cut it's head off with an ax....never felt a thing. We live way out in the country and it did nothing to our black snake population, you may feel differently.
Hi, thanks for your post. We live out in the country as well, there is no shortage of snakes here.
I don't like killing things that are harmless, but unfortunately this snake is not harmless to my hens.

I moved him farther away this morning, if he comes back again I may have to resort to other options.

Last edited:
Here in Tennessee we have a few poisioness snakes. A good black will kill them, so we don't kill them if we can help it. I would put the chicks in their roost at night and closes them. They will eat small chicks and eggs and cane scare the stuffins out of you. :eek:
Your Blount Co. neighbor.

Here in Tennessee we have a few poisioness snakes. A good black will kill them, so we don't kill them if we can help it. I would put the chicks in their roost at night and closes them. They will eat small chicks and eggs and cane scare the stuffins out of you. :eek:
I would just like to correct a common misunderstanding of this term.

Snakes are venomous not poisonous. Venom is injected and poison is absorbed (through skin or digestion).

Last edited:
Here in Tennessee we have a few poisioness snakes. A good black will kill them, so we don't kill them if we can help it. I would put the chicks in their roost at night and closes them. They will eat small chicks and eggs and cane scare the stuffins out of you.
ep.gif

hey neighbor, I live in blount county as well. From what I know we only have 4 snakes that are venomous here in our part of East Tennessee.
I moved the snake a few days ago and so far it has not come back. We have had some cool days since then so maybe
that has had some effect.

Anyway, my hen is still sitting on her eggs and so far all eggs are still there
jumpy.gif

Here in Tennessee we have a few poisioness snakes. A good black will kill them, so we don't kill them if we can help it. I would put the chicks in their roost at night and closes them. They will eat small chicks and eggs and cane scare the stuffins out of you.
ep.gif

I see that you are new to BYC, welcome.
welcome-byc.gif
I have learned to much on here, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Back
Top Bottom